Thread: feeding EBM at CC and at night (for babysitters)

still on the teaching contract roundabout

Question feeding EBM at CC and at night (for babysitters)

Okay I am currently sending DS 2 x 120ml bottle at CC (3days) and leaving DH the same (2days/week). This past week or so I've struggled to express this much (I've been slightly ill - cough/cold thing). He sometimes drinks both bottles, sometimes only 1 bottle. When home with DH DS always has at least the 2 bottles. I've been using my freezer stash of EBM to top up his bottles. Now my freezer stash is getting rather low and in two weekends' time (29th Aug), DH & I are heading off to a wedding and leaving DS home with PIL for the day/evening.

DS is 13 months. I also regularly munch down on the lactation cookies with my morning tea at school. I usually have no trouble expressing around 240ml or more during the day at school. School has also been a little stressful lately (I know I should just relax and not stress out about how much milk I'm getting but that's always easier said than done)

I guess my queries are:

1) Is it okay if I send less in DS's bottles to CC? When I've left 60ml bottles (defrosting EBM) for DH, DS's been okay with only having that much in a bottle, even though I'd asked DH to give DS both 60ml bottles at the one feed. DS does eat quite a bit of food at CC, apparently has seconds frequently.

2) Any ideas how much EBM to put in bottles for night feeds? We've never had to this (unless using a defrosted EBM that needed to be used that day). DS usually wakes 3-4 times a night and will very rarely go back to sleep without a feed. We're not sure yet what time we're likely to get home so I'm anticipating having to have enough for the whole lot of wake ups. DS still usually has a large feed before falling asleep for the first time at night (so that will be a 120ml bottle). (I do intend to express and store the milk while away for the wedding - have access to cool storage and I'll need that milk for Monday's CC)

I'm putting it out here because formula and EBM feeders might have some helpful suggestions.

Hun, I had the same problem - at around the 11 month mark I was unable to express much anymore. Now that your DS is over 12 months, the EBM is fantastic, but he can manage without it when you are not there. If you like him to have milk, you could try introducing cows' milk to replace any EBM he's not having, but he is also fine to go without milk at those times and have water and solids instead (or at night just water). Otherwise, if you really want him to have the EBM, expressing more often is the best way. All babies at that age will drink different amounts. It depends on how much else he is having etc. My guess is he'd probably drink the same amount at night, but he might surprise you by not needing a milk feed at all if you're not there. That's actually how my first DS night weaned - we left him with grandparents overnight and he didn't wake for a feed seeing as I wasn't there - and then kept not waking!

Good luck hun, I am sure this will work out for you.

still on the teaching contract roundabout

Forgot to add, we've tried giving DS water overnight instead of feeding from me - won't have a bar of the water bottle at night (we had water in the same bottles as his EBM is). Although we didn't warm the water - maybe we should have tried that.

Thanks for the suggestion about the cow's milk Manta, might get DH to try DS on a 1/2 bottle of regular milk this week and see how he goes during the day.

I guess I can hope that DS will wake less after then as well (but knowing him he probably still wake up the same number of times if not more - especially as he seems to be in the habit as he's getting ear infections regularly which is being monitored by our GP)
    Last edited by leckert; August 15th, 2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: extra info about the water bottle attempt

He might not take the water when you are there, but be ok when you are not. Kids know when things are different. Another idea might be to try giving the water in a sippy or straw cup instead of a bottle. That way it makes it different to being offered milk and he might be ok with that. Or trying it warm might work too.

Worrying about our babies drinking enough when we are apart is a common worry but always seems to work out.