Thread: Foolproof migraine relief when breastfeeding?

froofy Guest

Default Foolproof migraine relief when breastfeeding?

I had problems with breastfeeding last time, as after about 2 weeks, each time I fed or expressed, I'd get a bad migraine. I don't want to give up this time, so I'm really hoping I can find out what is safe to take, and works quickly and effectively. Thanks

Sorry I don't have any suggestions, Froofy, but maybe you could ask your GP or the ABA?

IT would be a good idea to either contact the ABA about it as Angel said,or find a Lactation Consultant in your area...They are often better and more pro breastfeeding than Drs...(at least they are around here)
    The panadol and nurofen are the only two safe things to take for headaches while bfding....You cannot take anything with codeine in it,or anything like that.....I researched into it a few months back,and this is the only reason i know you can take both of these drugs....But you must try to stick to the minimum dose of them though,because as with all things,you can overdose on them....
    Hope this helps you!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Heaps of people have told me that they get great migrane relief from those ice face masks from the chemist - there's one idea. Also my mum buys this roll on from the chemist which I am not 100% sure of the ingredients and if they are safe, I think it's just lavender and peppermint essential oil but she and my sister swear by it making bad headaches and migranes disappear. I think it's called 'Migra-stick" or something like that, in a very small silver roll-on bottle. Smells divine but it's VERY good
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Custardtart Guest

I don't get a migraine, but I do feel sick and get a mild headache when I breastfeed. I link it to feeling dehydrated, and I find that the feelings lessen if I have a large glass of water while I am breastfeeding, so I try to grab a glass to sit next to me before I sit down to feed Max as a routine.

Kerrie

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yes I did hear that the most common cause of headache was dehydration! So always a great idea to start with a big glass of water
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.