Thread: freezing baby food

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

Default freezing baby food

Was shopping the other day and checked out the commercial baby food in readiness for when DS might start and noticed that you can only keep the unused portion in the bottle/can (put into suitable container in that case...) for 48 hours in the fridge. I gather there's no way a bub would eat that much and yet they don't have smaller bottles etc. Is it possible to spoon it into covered ice cube trays to freeze the commercial stuff? I realise that will be more work... but until I know what he'll take to and how much I can't deal with cooking my own - I can't even cut meat and veges for our own dinner with my stupid tendonitis...

Lewis's Mummy there is no problem about freezing the commerical baby food. Especially when you start out you will find that bub will only eat a spoonful here and there, so you don't want to waste any. I usually cook up my own food, but occasionally grab a few of the jars and find it easy to freeze them for multiple feeds. Your other option is a few companies are now selling frozen portions that you will find in the freezer section of your supermarket.

~Belinda~ Guest

I will be cooking my own food soon but I freeze all of Madeleine's fruit purees in ice cube trays and take them out as I need them. I do however keep her pumpkin/potato in the jar (and she is eating half a jar a day anyway) because I find the pumpkin doesn't defrost too well...unsure why this is but I don't have a problem with the fruit purees?

the pumpkin/potato probably has a different thickener added than the fruits..due to the processing procedure that the jarred/canned foods go through, thickeners(usually rice flour or corn flour) need to be added to thicken them up(they come out of the machinery like thick juice)..that's probably all it is..when you start making it yourself, you'll probably find that pumpkin, potato etc are fine in the freezer/thawing process..Good luck!

~Belinda~ Guest

Thanks Christie, I bet it will be fine making my own. Food processor here I come!!!

i make my own and find pumpkin etc isfine when i defrost it.

hopefully this is ok to post, but i have started my own baby food business which also produces frozen, pureed pumpkin, sweet potato and others without any additives or thickeners, and we have had no probs with ours in the freezing/thawing process. It is more than likely because of these thickeners you're having trouble with the thawing..

Hi Lewis's mummy,

I freeze commercial and homemade baby food (and pull out a days supply each morning).. When DD 1st started out, I would use the small ice cube trays and about 1/2 fill, until I knew what she liked and how much. After about a fortnight, I filled the small ice-cubes cause she started to eat it all..

Tendonitus - you poor thing my mum had it real bad, and I always prayed I wouldn't get it after witnessing her pain (alhtough I did get it through my pregnancy). I feel for you as can imagine how much it limits what you can do and must cause you so much frustration..

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, tendonitis sucks, but I guess I should be grateful - it's because DS has grown so quickly and is rather heavy... born 3.6kg and now almost 10kg and only 5 1/2 months... no doubt when he's up and running things will settle down. In the meantime frozen vege and easy meals plus DH are my dinnertime friends.