Thread: General anaesthetic and feeding?

Default General anaesthetic and feeding?

Hi all,

I'm having a small procedure tomorrow under general, and I'm wondering about feeding Jenna afterwards.
    Does anyone know how long I need to wait before its OK to feed?
    I'm hoping I can straight away....

Fi

Hi Fi

You can feed soon after you recover. But some people feel really sick after a general. Why not express some milk and but it in the fridge then if you are too sick to feed your baby can still have breastmilk

Shannon

I would have expected them to put a bag of fluids up if you had to fast, that was a bit slack

jaggard Guest

Hi Fi,

I had to go under for about 20 mins, for a procedure I had done when DD was 8wks old. The Dr and aneathasist both told me not to b/f for 12 hours afterward. It may differ depending on procedures but generally you don't have to wait too long b4 feeding again.

Good luck anyhow!

Thanks Shannon - thats a great tip about the bag. Maybe they can find the same vein they used a few weeks ago!! I'll make sure they know I need to feed Jenna at about 3pm, and again at 8pm-ish. A bag should make a difference I reckon.
    Alan - I have a few feeds in the freezer, but I bloody hate using them!! I'm such a stingy old bag. Beacuse I used up 3 feeds with the gastro a few weeks ago, I'm running a little low, and didn't think to go nuts and top it up again. Luckily I am a great cow, so I'll work hard at getting a few feeds in there after this miserable mess is over and done with.

Fi

Fi i think Alan's idea is great as you won't feel up to doing much after other than sleeping well that is all i wanted to do after mine.