Thread: going back to work and continuing breasfeeding

Default going back to work and continuing breasfeeding

I'm returning to work, possibly as early as September, and just want to hear some thoughts. I am lucky enough to have a childcare centre in my workplace and, am entitled to "BF time". He won't take a bottle - I've expressed and he flatly refuses it, we've tried many times!

Bubs is not in any sort a BF routine during the day (nights are pretty much set). He feeds on demand which is not going to work when we are both in different parts of the building.

I was just wondering if anyone else has done this and what sort a routine you have going. He will be 6 months by time I go back to work.

Hun, I don't have a lot of time to reply now, so you might like to go back over some old threads on this topic. I have twice returned to work while bfing, and many others on here have done it also. It actually is easier than I expected it to be so that's good news for you. With DS 1 I was able to bf him at lunchtimes, but I still needed to express twice a day as well (I had an oversupply with him). With DS2 I was unable to bf him and still only need to express once most days (sometimes twice).

Don't worry at all about the bottle - neither of my boys would take one either. That's what sippy cups are for! And believe me, they will drink when you are not there and they are thirsty. It is something you will worry about at first, but it does work out.

Hi Cass

He'll be able to take some solid food around that age, so that might reduce his need for as many bfs during the day. Also, while you are not on hand he'll probably happily preoccupy himself without bfing and make up for it when you do pop in!

And definitely try a sippy cup. I wouldn't worry about it now, and he's probably more likely to take it from someone else (without the lovely bbs that he much prefers ).

Thanks for your replies. Here I am stressing about something that hasn't even happened yet!

In all likelihood he will take to a sippy cup and be quite happy without me........... Me on the otherhand, how the heck am I going to get through a day at work with only one excuse for a cuddle in the middle? Ever heard of a childcare centre banning mums????

Cass I'm sure you'll be fine! I returned to work when DD was only 4 months old and am still bf her. I was lucky that she did take a bottle though so I express at work, I used to express twice a day now only once. I too used to demand feed and was a bit worried at first as the day care centre wanted some sort of rigid rigid routine to follow, however, I just told them to let her lead the way and feed her when she seemed hungry (she was pretty good at letting them know!) and once they realised I was quite relaxed about it they were happy to go by her and let her decide when she wanted a feed.

You might find that your little one behaves differently at day care too and like others have said by 6 months might be eating solids. I find that DD bf more at home with me and eats more solids at day care. Sometimes if they are really struggling to get a bottle into her they give it to her in a sippy cup which she thinks is pretty exciting! Your little one might like the independence of drinking milk from a cup?

Good luck!