Thread: Has dropped off the curve and isn't drinking as much...

Question Has dropped off the curve and isn't drinking as much...

This may be normal - I can't remember! But at Phoebe's 12 month check at the GP she has dropped off her curve (she was at the 50th at 6 months and is now around the 25th for height and weight. Her head has always been bigger - around the 70th but that is unchanged. Boof head! LOL!)
    So, I realise she is moving a lot, learning to walk etc so is very active & therefore burning more calories. But she is also not feeding as much. She usually only has a couple of breastfeeds a day (sometimes 1 more on my non-work days) and usually at least 1 overnight although she has slept through once or twice lately.
    She doesn't like cows milk. She has a yoghurt each day and it's touch and go as to whether she'll eat cheese. She's also not particularly keen on avocado. What can I do/give her to boost her weight gain? Do I need to, or is a drop in growth normal?
    Hope this makes sense.

Is this the purple book curve? I found the same thing at that age - have you checked her against the WHO breastfed-only charts? You might find she holds up much better on those ones. I think formula-fed babies tend to be significantly heavier at that age on the whole (just based on a comparison of the different curves)

Meat, complex carbohydrates, cream cheese or ricotta if normal cheese isn't usually a success, anything you guys like to eat really.
    The main thing is to keep an eye on it - a slowing in growth is not that surprising, and as long as she is still growing somewhat and is active and weeing then she's probably fine!
    It's also strange how dropping back on the charts is regarded as a red flag but galumphing up them is somehow getting to where bub is meant to be. My son started at the 3nd percentile and is now at 2 and a bit somewhere around the 50th/80th for weight and height. Noone has suggested that we are feeding him too much or that he is growing too quickly!

Hun, she's possibly just adjusting to her genetic size too. You aren't a giant and neither is Natalie. What was Natalie's weight and height like at her age?

FWIW, my DD's weight gains were good until about 12 mths (she was around 25th percentile from a few months old onwards) and then she became the lightest child imaginable. And she ate like a horse. She's put on about five kilos in three years, I kid you not, everything goes into long skinny legs for my DD! She only weighs 16 kgs now and every other child I know seemed to weigh that before two.

If you're concerned about her calcium, how does she go with other calcium rich foods, like green leafy vegetables and whatever fish it is that counts (memory lapse )? She's still on the charts at the 25th, btw. Someone has to be on that spot. As long as you have no other health concerns, there's probably nothing to worry about.

Jennifer, your DD and my DD1 are the same! She weighs 16kg and has hollow legs! She also had a drop from the 25th to the 3rd percentile at 12 months. We had to take her back at 15 months to check she was gaining again. I found that she is a grazer and a morning tea person. She doesn't like breakfast much but if I giver her a "tasting plate" at morning tea she would eat the lot - I chop up a variety of fruit, veg, cheese, cooked pasta, chickpeas etc and she would pick and choose what she wanted from the plate.

DD looked like she had dropped more at the 12 month check on the blue book (blue here in VIC) than on the WHO charts, so I would definately have a look at them - made me feel better anyway!

[URL="http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/WFA_girls_0_5_percentiles.pdf"]Weight for Age girls 0-5 years[/URL]

She is also on 2 BF a day, at the 12 month check she didn't like cheese then suddenly one day she did, she doesn't drink much cows milk but will a little bit at home but none at CC, she also wouldn't have yoghurt till dropped to 2 BF but now she will - is almost like when on more than 2BF she didn't need the dairy and now she does. After 12 month check I was madly trying to work out how to get more calcium into her but she just upped her intake in her own time.