The first time I tried potato with my DD it caused her to be constipated in exactly the same way you've mentioned (she just stopped pooing when she had been pooing up to 4 times daily, and then had difficulty with hard, nuggety poos for the next few days). I find potato and even rice has the same affect on her even now - she seems to be quite sensitive to getting constipated, even though she is still demand BF. I can counter this when offering rice/potato fairly well by making sure I offer plenty of fruit at the same meal.
An extra feed or so is the best thing to help, if it turns out he is constipated, as Barb and MR have mentioned - it worked for us.
When you next decide to try introducing it again, try it in a smaller amount, and offer foods with lots of fibre at the same time - i.e. other vegetables and plenty of fruit, and perhaps even some water at the same time.
Bookmarks