Thread: HELP! weaning and painful breasts

Default HELP! weaning and painful breasts

hi, my DD hasnt had any breast feed for over 24 hours and my boobs are really really big, hard, lumpy and SORE! what can i do about this? and how long until it eases? (she is 17 months old)

Hollo, try hand-expressing or pumping if you have one. Put warm compresses on first, then massage the lumps out while expressing. If you are trying to wean, don't take all the milk out, just enough to feel comfortable. Then put cold compresses on after expressing. If you are trying to wean, are you leading it or her? It is best to drop one feed at a time rather than going cold turkey. GL.

sort of both of us. we have been working towards it for a while and she had cut back her feeds but i have been encouraging her to not have it when she asks for it and she seems fine with that at the moment. if i express some wont that encourage more to build up? thanks for your advice though i am definately gonna try the compresses.

Hollo!
    Hello and snap - i was just about to post the same qn.

Yes if you express it will tell the body it needs to produce milk!

DD had her last bf 4 days ago and my boobs are hard, lumpy and sore!

I am hoping it will pass.

I know there is a tablet you can take that will cease the production but i really wanted to do it naturally too!

Hi,

You need to prioritise - the first thing is, you need to remove some of the milk so that you won't be at risk of mastitis. Your bodies are geared up to make milk, and need some time to stop. You just need to express enough so your breasts are soft and comfortable. Not to empty the breast. You will find that you have to do this less and less often over the next few days or a week. If your baby is happy to have a feed, she'd do a better job than a pump.
    But, whichever way you go, you need to express some milk, or you will be writing in asking for suggestions to help with mastitis. Melanie's advice is great.
    Regards
    Barb

Hi ~

This is only second hand advice but in hospital they would cut a nappy in half, wet it & freeze it to place into your bra to help ease the pain - Also when my friend was weaning she used to give her BB's a nice massage when she had a warm shower to express some milk, she says they were all better within a week. Goodluck.

thank you so much everyone. i took your advice and the warm compress was heaven, the expressing was relief and the cold compress just topped it off! :-)

Glad to hear that helped Hollo!

just another quick question. i have had to express the right side since i did the initial both sides the first time. it seems that the left side is still full but isnt getting painful but the right side is. should i express from both sides or just sore side? i dont want to end up with one bigger boob. i am going to see the doctor today so hopefully she will have some advice for me too.

Because you want your bbs to stop producing milk, I would only express when they feel full and painful. It might be that the milk supply drops unevenly so you might be a bit lopsided for a little bit but it won't be for long and you'll probably be the only one to notice! If it helps I have quite often been lopsided while bfing.

well the GP said there isnt a pill/drug to use. there used to be but they have found that it is toxic. so i just have to wait it out. they have actually evened up a bit and i havent expressed any more since. i hope they stop producing milk altogether soon. my DD plays with my nipples/ breasts as a comfort thing and cause they are full now they are starting to leak a little bit which then reminds her about the milk. would you say it only takes a week? or is it a long process?