thread: How do you feel about unscreened donor milk?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Add Butterfly Dawn on Facebook

    Aug 2008
    Climbing Mt foldmore
    2,894

    Ff babes get sick more often? oh please don't start this. It depends ob the child. I have feed all 3 of my kids the same way and their health is different for each

    Sorry if it doesn't make sense, the barefoot princess is covering me with kisses

  2. #2
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jan 2006
    11,633

    Statistically speaking - across the population of thousands of children - they do.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Mar 2009
    2,269

    I'd be happy to use donated milk from somebody I knew or through some of the networks of people available these days where everybody is connected by someone. I'm lucky to have never been in such a position but I would definitely be trying to source BM in some way as my first point of call after not being able to feed at the breast or express myself.

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Jul 2005
    Sydney
    7,896

    Ff babes get sick more often? oh please don't start this. It depends ob the child. I have feed all 3 of my kids the same way and their health is different for each
    Anecdotally and for individual children, it may not be the case.

    I am speaking only of statistics for the general population, particularly in the countries where HIV is a much higher risk than it is here. Unfortunately, for the general population, babies do get sick more often and more seriously when ff. Your ff child may not, nor may any of the ff babies you know. That's fantastic. Unfortunately, it is not true if you look at the whole of society. I was not making an assumption, just an observation at a macro level. Which is where health authorities consider the issues.

  5. #5

    Mar 2008
    Where dreams are now reality
    2,318

    Personally, I think I would need to be put in that situation. But for me at this time, I wouldnt use it. However I know I'd prefer donated BM over Formula but would want it screened. unscreened doesnt sit well with me. That said though, I'd like to think that someone who was kind enough to donate their BM would know their health status not to donate milk that could transmit anything iykwim.

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Jul 2008
    Home with my Son :)
    2,611

    i would prefer to find a donor than go through a milk bank because of the processing of the milk that is done in a milk bank. i read an article somewhere that the processing can destroy some of the goodies in the breastmilk.
    Yes, that's true.. Another issue is the cost!!! The milk bank near me wanted to charge me $80 for 1.1L... If the milk bank and formula were my only options I would have had to use formula at least some of the time.. Luckily for me though, they weren't the only options and I got EBM FREE from wonderful sharing milky mama's

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Sep 2007
    Brisbane
    5,729

    Yes, that's true.. Another issue is the cost!!! The milk bank near me wanted to charge me $80 for 1.1L... If the milk bank and formula were my only options I would have had to use formula at least some of the time.. Luckily for me though, they weren't the only options and I got EBM FREE from wonderful sharing milky mama's
    Yeah they pasteurise it which kills some of the goodness. And yes, it really is $8 per 100 mils. I saw someone did fundraising for a milk bank, raised $8000 which was only 1000 bottles of milk and I thought... omg whaaaa? Milk banks are really expensive to maintain, sadly.

  8. #8
    Registered User

    May 2007
    Warrnambool Vic
    1,476

    Risks of milk sharing vs risks of formula feeding
    http://www.amj.net.au/index.php?jour...path%5B%5D=933