thread: How to get 6 and a half month old to drink more water?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Add STARRYSKY on Facebook Follow STARRYSKY On Twitter

    Aug 2007
    adelaide
    1,989

    my DS seemed to hate water too at that age, he was BF, but I was told by the ER that I was dehydrating him by not giving him water..
    anyway, I tried just about every sippy cup, top etc on the market, a good way to find out was at mums group, as all the kids would try eachothers drinks out! (much to the disgust of the resident "control freak!!" who hides her daughters water, makes her ask for it!) but I ended up going with the TT/Nuby ones like you mentioned, with the most success.
    also now he likes the take and toss spout ones too. which is good cos they are cheap!

    have you tried warming the water at all? I know a friend of mines DD wouldnt drink water unless it was warm, something to try anyway.
    DS still now doesnt drink as much as I think he should but I have found that if I add the minutest amount of apple and blackcurrant juice, he will skull the whole lot! not sure if thats recommended at that young age though.
    HTH.

    eta...I would also fill up his water cups/bottles and leave them around where he was playing, and show him I was drinking out of it, he also LOVED drinking from my cup (with great success too!) and always have the cup/bottle there at meals too.
    Last edited by STARRYSKY; April 29th, 2010 at 08:12 PM. : adding stuff...

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Add Beautitude on Facebook

    Feb 2008
    Adelaide SA
    684

    I wouldn't stress about it tbh. At that age ds drank 50ml a day if i was lucky. Nowadays he would drink water all day if i let him and we go through 4-5 sippy cups a day. I wouldn't go through too many diff sippy cups, just keep offering water through the day and at meals and she will have what she needs. I haven't offered anything other than water and milk as ds loves his water so much i dont want him to get a taste for anything else.

  3. #3
    BellyBelly Member

    Jan 2008
    In beautiful chaos!
    2,335

    When I stew pears or any fruit I put the left over water in ice block trys and freeze them. If she's a little constipated I give her that as a drink once warmed

    Id do the same if she didn't like water

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Add Stevie on Facebook

    Apr 2009
    Sunshine Coast
    1,280

    Thanks ladies xx

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Add ElleJay on Facebook Follow ElleJay On Twitter

    Jun 2007
    Western Australia
    6,587

    Master W doesn't drink much water either, but he's starting to get better. I've gotta steal some of the ideas you've got though Stevie