thread: How much milk for 18mth to 2 yr old?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jan 2006
    11,633

    I'm not sure they really need any particular amount at all. Yes, they need calcium, but not necessarily milk. I guess if he's happy with that amount and getting what he needs from his diet then it's all good. Errrr...so basically I don't know. My DS won't drink any at all

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Apr 2008
    4,427

    I am pretty sure its 500mg of calcium a day for a 1-2 yr old which is the same as half a cup of yoghurt and a slice of cheese. I dont think it would matter if they were having any more than that, (but I am no expert) it would only matter if they were having less than that as its important for the development of bones and teeth.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Apr 2007
    Perth, Australia
    744

    Thanks for your replies, I think he is getting plenty, he just often askes for milk in the middle of the night or gets extra at day care, then sometimes won't eat much dinner.

  4. #4
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jan 2006
    11,633

    If it's affecting his apetite for 'real' food, then I'd cut it back. But you know his needs best

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Apr 2007
    Perth, Australia
    744

    The only time it really affects his appetite is when day care give him milk about 4pm. He generally doesn't bug me for milk during the day. I think he only wants it when he sees the other babies get it.

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Dec 2007
    Werribee, Vic
    618

    I have been told that 3 serves of any calcium in a day is enough. My DS has milk on his cereal, cheese and/or yoghurt during the day, and a cup of milk at night before bed. That seems to be doing him fine