thread: I am having surgery but I am still breastfeeding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Oct 2008
    1,572

    I know you have had some great advice I just wanted to add my story. Just after the birth of dd2 I noticed a mark on my left nipple and it grew really rapidly. I eventually saw a surgeon when dd2 was 3 weeks old and he booked me in for surgery the next week.
    I got heaps of advise here, aba, my midwives and family and the drs made sure the drugs I had were ok for a bf mum. Xh brought dd2 to the waiting room so I could feed just before surgery and then to the recovery room so i fed immediately afterwards as well.
    I did have to express on the left for two weeks until my scar healed but we continued to feed until she was 15 months old.
    Surgery can be scary but it doesn't mean cutting back on bf'ing if you don't want it too.
    GL


    Sent from my iPhone so short and sweet

  2. #2
    BellyBelly Member

    Mar 2007
    Perth
    2,088

    Thanks peanutter - I have definately found a tonne of water and the cookies help me. Sleep does too but not much of that going on in this household lately!

    Ryatha - Thanks for that. You did really well. Expressing isnt easy so well done to you.

  3. #3
    BellyBelly Member

    Mar 2007
    Perth
    2,088

    Just wanted to update for anyone who might be going through a similar situation and stumbles across this thread.

    Everything went perfectly for my surgery yesterday. I fed DD right before I went in and about and 1.5 hrs after I got out and settled. DH gave her one bottle during this time. The anesthatist was fantastic, he was mindful of the fact that I am breastfeeding and stuck to drugs he knew were safe and had been used for many years. He advised there was no need to pump and dump and the longer I wait the less it is in my system. That being said if I fed right after it wouldnt do baby any harm, he literally gave me enough to get me through the surgery and to provide a small amount of pain relief after. I also had antibiotics pumped in but they were all safe for breastfeeding mums. No need to worry at all. So just wanted to reassure anyone going in for surgery (this was a minor day surgery mind) that speak to your dr, there should be no issue.