thread: I have wondered for a long time *not a debate*

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Apr 2009
    Melbourne
    1,069

    I'm not sure when the "non-debate" became a debate or why "smartness" came into it I don't even know where to start with that.

    There is little/no funding for BM Banks from the govt and I think the redtape is tough. That's in answer to the OP.

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Nov 2006
    brisbane
    3,975

    Km we are not talking about smartness or the differences in formula its more about having access to human milk for human babies and why there are not more banks around and more education on the subject! Babies grow and learn at different rates thats why it is best not to compare

    im with you audax....we will quite happily drink cows/goats milk from an animal that can probably lick its self be sprayed or dipped in who knows how many chemicals...yet the thought of hman breastmilk which is designed for human babies and is screened and pasturised etc is thought as gross? I wonder where along the line we decided our bodies couldnt work as well as they used to?

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Jun 2005
    USA
    3,991

    When I had low supply while establishing BFing with my son I would have given my right arm to to supplement his feeds with donated milk rather than the small amount of formula he had for a couple of weeks. It killed me to give him that, and I'm still aware to this day that the development of digestive system was compromised as a result.

    I'm more aware now of communities that assist donating EBM among each other and I'm prepared to yell out and seek this help as much as possible this time around, should complementary feeding become needed.
    Last edited by meow; November 2nd, 2010 at 09:33 AM.

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Mar 2007
    6,979

    When I had low supply while establishing BFing with my son I would have given my right arm to to supplement his feeds with donated milk rather than the small amount of formula he had for a couple of weeks. It killed me to give him that, and I'm still aware to this day that the development of digestive system was compromised as a result.

    I'm more aware now of communities that assist donating EBM among each other and I'm prepared to yell out and seek this help as much as possible this time around, should complementary feeding become needed.
    well said Meow. That's exactly how I feel too. My DD was supplemented with FF when BF'ing was difficult for us at one stage and I had hardly much milk and she was losing weight, and under advice by an LC, we had to take drastic measures to get fluids to her and I had no time to wait around for someone else's BM. Had it been available to me at the time, and screened, I would have given it to my DD in a heartbeat

    You can't beat BM. Even if it is from someone else, it's still going to be better for your baby than Artificial Baby Milk could EVER be.

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara
    14,222

    For me, it isn't about BM v ABM (I see that as a completely separate issue), it is about the very real risk of women being exploited for their milk. Just where do all of those who support the use of BM in place of ABM think all the milk required is going to come from? Do you have any idea of how many women it would take to fill the gap of formula? And how will these women be compensated for it, if at all? And they would have to be compensated in some form because how is it right that women wouldn't get anything for doing it yet the ones that are selling it make all the money kwim. It's a wonderful idea in theory, but it is a rather Utopian one that will never fly. Besides, how long do you think it will take Nestle and Wyeth etc to try to get in on it? Afterall, they are the ones who will lose billions of $$ if it ever happened and they will want a slice of the action considering how large the baby food market it. And if that happens, well we may as well be back where we started from. I fully support 100% the use of milk banks for ill and prem babies, but for the wider population of babies it just wouldn't work.

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria
    8,924

    :yeahthat:

    Great post

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Feb 2006
    NSW Central Coast
    5,301

    I would use donated BM if it were as viable and easy an option as using formula is. I would love to be able to say my babies were fully solely fed on BM. But I doubt it ever would be an option. I don't find it disturbing or horrible or offputting in the least. It is what it is, feeding your baby. Just like feeding a baby formula IMO. Doing either things carries risks. Albeit differnt risks, but risks all the same. If I took milk from a milk bank it would have to meet all health standards. But I would also be willing to use a wet nurse if someone I knew and trusted were to offer up their boobies (such as a best friend/sister/cousin...)!!
    But taking into consideration the amount of women who do breastfeed (vs formula feed) I don't think there would be enough milk to go around for all of those bubs! And as Tanstar points out many women have trouble expressing for their own bubs, let alone on mass scales. I could only ever express at most about 100ml of milk at a time, on a good day. If I needed a whole bottle (200ish mls) or god forbid more than one bottle to go to work or out, DS was supplemented with formula because I just couldn't get enough. Plus there is the time factor, it used to take me a good 20ish mins to get 100ml or less. I am aware it takes different women different amounts of time to get more or less milk out, but realistically would many mums have the time and energy to spare? It would take alot of dedication from a mother to do it. Personally I don't think I would have the energy or dedication to do it myself, despite the fact that it would be such a great gift to someone elses bub. I would however quite happily feed someone else bub if they wanted me to and I knew them well enough to do it. But tha's a whole seperate issue!!
    Last edited by MrsFabuloso; November 2nd, 2010 at 02:07 PM.

  8. #8
    Registered User

    Aug 2010
    Albs, WA
    971

    my phone ate my reply!
    excellent info Boomba.
    I haven't read the whole thread but I personally who have no problem either donating or receiving BM, or wetnursing.
    after a traumatic birth I've had huge supply issues. being able to give BM rather than formula would have helped my menta state so much!

  9. #9
    BellyBelly Member

    Jan 2008
    In beautiful chaos!
    2,335

    Sorry ladies I have been out all day but just going through the thread now

  10. #10
    Registered User

    Apr 2009
    in the garden
    3,767

    hmmm, sorry but I found that abit aggressive. Breastmilk is a body fluid and the drinking of other peoples body fluid such as breastmilk, urine etc does not sit comfortably with some people.

    I don't go out to my backyard, kneel beneath a cow and suck on it's teat...I do, however, drink cows milk that has been pasturized to remove as many microbials as possible. When they can find an appropriate way of removing contaminates out of breastmilk (which pasturizing is not suitable because it is suggested the heating of breastmilk removes the nutrients anyway) I will consider using donated BM for my DD.
    For the record, I had blood tests before my milk was accepted, and 6 months later also. The donated milk is pasteurised & then tested again for contaminants. Considering that most of the milk bank milk goes to premmie or very sick babies, they are extremely dilgent about making sure it's safe to give.

    So you don't drink cows milk? It's someone else's breast milk, just the "someone else" eats grass and says moo.
    And that's pretty much what I said to my kids (who were grossed out by the idea of drinking my EBM)

    For me, it isn't about BM v ABM (I see that as a completely separate issue), it is about the very real risk of women being exploited for their milk. Just where do all of those who support the use of BM in place of ABM think all the milk required is going to come from? Do you have any idea of how many women it would take to fill the gap of formula? And how will these women be compensated for it, if at all? And they would have to be compensated in some form because how is it right that women wouldn't get anything for doing it yet the ones that are selling it make all the money kwim. It's a wonderful idea in theory, but it is a rather Utopian one that will never fly. Besides, how long do you think it will take Nestle and Wyeth etc to try to get in on it? Afterall, they are the ones who will lose billions of $$ if it ever happened and they will want a slice of the action considering how large the baby food market it. And if that happens, well we may as well be back where we started from. I fully support 100% the use of milk banks for ill and prem babies, but for the wider population of babies it just wouldn't work.
    well said Trillian, what i was kind of thinking this morning but couldn't formulate

  11. #11
    Registered User

    May 2007
    Warrnambool Vic
    1,476

    Popping in very late, but just noted the original contention that "formula is made in a factory" - nup, it's the milk of another animal! My daughter just started her first after school job, and while I grew up on a farm - it brought it back to me abruptly when I picked her up from work....the smell, the cowsh***. Ughhh

  12. #12

    Jul 2009
    Australia
    5,102

    Popping in very late, but just noted the original contention that "formula is made in a factory" - nup, it's the milk of another animal! My daughter just started her first after school job, and while I grew up on a farm - it brought it back to me abruptly when I picked her up from work....the smell, the cowsh***. Ughhh
    I've just googled whats in formula and it hasnt mentioned anything about milk from another animal..... can you show me where you got this from?

  13. #13
    Registered User

    Dec 2008
    8,986

    It's cow's milk KM

  14. #14
    Registered User

    Nov 2006
    brisbane
    3,975

    Great post Trill! I definitely dont think BM can take over from Formula...no money in it for our fav companies But I think we ned to start supporting eachother and creating villages where BM is available for those who wish to wet nurse etc