Thread: Insect repellent & breastfeeding

Default Insect repellent & breastfeeding

Is insect repellent of any kind OK to use on the skin when breastfeeding? Obviously it should not used anywhere near the breasts, but can it be absorbed at a sufficient rate to be passed on through the breast milk if used on other parts of the body that don't come in contact with bubs (eg: feet, legs)?

Before getting pregnant I used an essential oil based repellent (citronella, ti-tree, lavender, lemongrass) - excepting lavender none of those oils were suitable for use during pregnancy but what about when breastfeeding? And what about synthetic based repellents? I never used to use those but perhaps they would be less easily absorbed.

I live in the tropics and I am getting mauled by mosquitoes!!

Suse, I am not sure about the absorbtion through the skin.

But I know that anything on the skin that smells used to put Olivia off BF'ing.....she would get cranky & push me away.......

We were living in the NT whislt I was BF'ing her......in a mangrove area.....I just got bitten to bits by the sandflies and mozzies......but after a week or two they went off me!

Ta Lucy!

I haven't been wearing deodorant for that very reason - but most of the bites I get are on the legs and ankles - I wonder how good his sense of smell is LOL!

No such luck on the critters going off me - I am the ultimate mozzie magnet - they adore me! Luckily we don't get sandflies in this part of Cairns because they are just nasty!

If its the legs and ankles, maybe try one of the chemical repellants that profess to be "odourless", but buy it from a pharmacy and check with the pharmacist first?

Good idea!

suse, i am not sure about the whole BF absorption but there is a good natural produce for kids that may be suitable for you. it is called Scatterbugs made by Cherub Rubs that you can buy online or in good organic shops. it is aloe vera based with lemon eucalyptus.
    i am not sure why a petro chemical based one would be less harmful/absorptive as this. but perhaps it does come down to the smell.
    GL fighting off those blighters. you don't want to get Dengue, Ross River or other mosquito borne diseases either. my sis who is BFing had RR this year and it was nasty.