Thread: It's taken nearly 5 months

Default It's taken nearly 5 months

for me to finally realise I'm comfortable breastfeeding & I can do it

I'd always planned to breastfeed if I could and knew of the sore nipples, possible attachment issues etc but noone ever warns of:

* Dreading each feed due the pain associated with the first few sucks they take for the first 6-8 weeks.
    *Needing to plan each feed about half hour in advance to make sure I'd gone toilet, had my glass of water, make sure I had my mobile, house phone, remote control and my mountain of pillows all in place before I sat down to feed.
    *That having larger breasts made it almost impossible to cradle hold feed in the early days and rugby hold it was.
    *BB's that leaked like a garden hose 24hours a day but when I tried expressing would only get about 50ml combined total out of both breasts on a good day.
    *Worrying constantly DD wasn't feeding/getting enough as she only fed for 15mins max and the midwives and CAFHS nurses kept saying you "should" feed 20mins one side and then try the other.
    *continously on here or googling ways to increase my supply or looking for symptoms she wasn' getting enough
    *Staring enviously at all the mums out and about sitting comfortably feeding their babies, while I worked on a mad time schedule to make sure I got home as there was no way I could feed in public without my 15pillows

That was until the other day when I was sitting outside enjoying some sunshine while "cradle" hold feeding my DD when I decided I was hot wanted to go inside, so I managed to take off my sneakers, goes inside and get settled all while DD was attached and happily feeding away, breastfeeding was finally easy

When did it all fall into place for you?

Oh and I have also tackled the public breastfeed and won!

well done to you!!!! Huge achievement!!

We had lots of early challenges with BF (attachment, milk supply, cracked nipples you name it) and it wasn't until 4mths that it all fell into place for us and no more comp feeds for DD!!! At that stage I remember thinking the same as you, wow this is just great, how easy it is now and how worth all that effort it is!! I too remember how hard it was having to rush home to feed on the other side as DD would only take my L side when in cradle position or lying down!!!! that was hard!!!

Isn't it wonderful when you reach that stage where you can say "ah this is just easy" good on you, you have done well!!!!

Here's to many more months/years of your BF relationship!!

Awwww, well done!!!!! know one ever tells you of all the challenges you face - the next one is what to wear so you can feed in public without having to wrestel with your own clothes LOL!

For me I was running after DS1, so I managed to feed & walk around from the start, it took me a while to get comfy with feeding in public but 9months on & it's not prob at all!

Yep, it took us a few months too. Well done!

Thanks girls! You just really aren't warned at the hard work it can be to BF. I'm stoked to get this far as in the beginning we had real issues getting her to feed and they had to hand express me and she was syringe fed the first 3-4 feeds and there were times I just felt like giving up.

I'm just thankful to the helpful and persistant midwives in hospital who kept me going and encouraging me that she would get it eventually.
    Last edited by ~Phoenix~; September 16th, 2010 at 03:12 PM.

i'm glad it's all fallen into place for you now

and you know what - i was actually thinking about this about an hour ago when i was feeding DS before his nap. i was thinking that i couldn't pinpoint exactly when i moved from being completely paranoid, hormonal, emotional & frustrated to thinking that BFing was something of a breeze (not to mention a godsend for when DS was upset).

now i'm just those things about other stuff!

Every single point that you have made, I could have written myself a few months ago. It takes practice hey? And determination.

You're doing a wonderful job xxxxxx

Good for you hun

It took us about 3 months to get the hang of things, and from there on in things got easier every day.

x

Woohoo for you - it's wonderful isn't it? Daily I still at some stage find myself thinking how glad I am we perservered - I went through alot of the things you've mentioned - I can't imagine not BF'ing now! I think it was around 12 weeks I stopped taking it day by day, and by around 4 months it really all just fell into place.

I remember the first time I managed to get up off the couch and answer the phone all with her still attached. I was excitedly telling my Mom (the caller) that I'd answered with her attached and that distracted DD instead of me getting up lol

Well done you!!!!! It is a wonderful feeling when you realise that it's now *easy*.

Thanks for this thread, it's a timely reminder for me that we will one day get there. It was about 5-6 months with my DS1 that things fell into place..........DS2 is 6.5 months, and while it's easier, we're not quite there yet. I'm feeling a bit down about all his feeding issues today, so it's been really nice to read this thread, and remember that it will get better, and I will be more relaxed

YAY! Well done You're one up on me though I still haven't mastered the walking around feeding, and I think I may have missed the boat on that one because he's really heavy now and I don't know how long I could hold him in the cradle position with one arm ...well that is one arm if you needed to use the other for something else. But can completely sympathise with all the rest of your post! It's a good feeling isn't it

Whooo what a great achievement!!!! I too remember dreading (and crying) when DD needed a feed because I knew what was to come, breastfeeding CAN be painful even with assistance from LC's and nurses, it took me 4 mths to feed pain and stress free! Enjoy the cuddles!!