Thread: LC recommendation?

Default LC recommendation?

I'm starting to mentally prepare for BF'ing with the upcoming birth of #2 bubba. One thing I want to do is to have a good LC who I have met with BEFORE the birth so we start the way we mean to continue!

Can anyone recommend a good LC in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne? (I'm in Vermont - so someone who covers this area).

Incidentally, I did use an IBCLC last time, but given we went from BF'ing/expressing/comp feeding at about 2 months to exclusive expressing with a mouth-breathing little fella who was later discovered to have allergies (probably contributed) plus flat and inverted nipples, nipple shields and GD + insulin (SCN admission)... the fact that expressing was far easier than BFing sums it up really.

So this time, I want someone who I can rely on, who will work with me to give this a 200% go, and would potentially say yes, could be medical issues (which my last one did not - and I believe possibly should have using my oh-so-wise 20:20 hindsight!). Obs/gp/mhcn/paed all just saw a healthy baby and didn't realise the efforts I was going to... I want more support for my BF'ing journey this time. If you can recommend an LC, please feel free to reply or PM me.
    TIA

I HIGHLY recommend Pinky McKay. I think she would be great to meet pre-birth too as she has a lot to offer and share and is such a calming, wonderful woman.

She's good with the medical things too- she sent me straight off to my doctor to request blood tests and talked a lot about ME to establish what was happening with my low supply. No one else I spoke to (LCs, MCHN, midwives) actuallychecked how I was going and just kept recommending more round the clock feeding and pumping which was never going to work given that I was exhausted and anemic.

She also knows her stuff about babies and will be able to go through possible food intolerances and many, many things with you.

All the best and good on you for being so proactive!

I'm fairly sure Nelle has a friend who is a LC. PM her for her details.

You can look one up at alca.asn.au if you don't find one through personal recommendations. If you are unsure you could chat to them first before choosing one.

Hi Belfie,
    Would you also consider lactation day stays?? I found the Jessie Mac one really helpful. The advantage is that they look at 3 or 4 feeds in a row - so you have a chance to really try some things and see what makes a difference. Ellyce (don't know her last name) is a very patient, creative and persistent LC as well.
    The insurance companies regard them as an admission for Mum - so if you have some kind of excess on your policy that may be an expensive option.
    Good luck - here's hoping for a bub with a big mouth!

Thanks for all the suggestions, it's really helpful. I've looked up the listings of LC's but am keen to get any personal recommendations as well.

Kmn - would definitely consider day stays - I actually tried to go to one at my hospital last time but they cancelled it, then just directed me to a private LC. They didn't seem to want to help me book into another day stay at all! So I was a bit put off that, and probably didn't think about going to a different hospital which I should have (even though I must admit it is expensive once you pay excess... but still cheaper than formula ). As for a big-mouthed bubba, oooh I have my fingers crossed. Different bub, different BF'ing relationship...