Have you tried cloth breastpads? I found they worked really well for me after the first six weeks and they don't itch as much.

I also only use them now while I am feeding and not all the time. Just put some in your nappy bag and when you start feeding just put it in the side you are not feeding on. I don't get random let down anymore like I did in the first six weeks but still enough for a breastpad while I am feeding. If I forget my breastpad, I move my shirt up on that side too so the wet patch isn't right over my nipple.

Let down on the otherside usually stops around six months for me, but not for the first feed every morning. I have always had let down during the first feed of the day for as long as I breastfeed but I am at home and in bed so I usually have breastpads where I can reach them.