just spoke to my regular MCHN.. and i told her i wish to start Mia on BLS when she starts soilds and u should have seen the look she gave me. So she gave me a lecture about how everything needs to be purred and then gradually increase thickness and lumpyness and no whole foods till this is done. So still about 9-10 months.
phooey! I started DS with purees at 6 months & got so sick of him fighting the spoon from me (he's very independent) that we went to finger foods at 7 months. I just steamed vegies really soft (they were soft enough to squish between my tongue & the roof of my mouth without chewing). I watched him really closely at first & just kept offering him different foods as he was ready (eg it took him a few months to perfect toast - it always seemed to end up as a hard ball).

I would be waiting until closer to the 6 month mark though to do BLS.