Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milk banks..would you use one?

I don't think i could do it either. But who knows what I would decide if I had to ever face the situation of choosing, ie a prem baby.

Love

I dont think I would accept it from a bank - but then becasue I've been able to feed, maybe I'm looking at it through rose coloured glasses?? I dont really like the idea of a wet-nurse either.

I would definitly donate, I'm big on blood donations etc, but in saying that, I have enough trouble getting through the day with a newborn - would I have time to muck around with expressing for someone else??

I think priorities would come into it a little. I certainly wouldn't be driving into the milk bank every couple of days, and I would want them to provide everything sterilised for me - maybe in plastic bags that I could rip open when required?

Liek the others have said - I would want the milk to go to the premmie babies too before others. Shane's SIL was expressing for about 6 weeks in hospital, it was really hard for her.

Fi

This is going to sound nasty and I don't mean it too, but for those who have said that they wouldn't use milk from a milk bank, but would donate. Whats the difference? The milk isn't good enough for your baby, but yours is good enough for others?? I don't get it.
    Again, cows milk is ok, but human isn't?

What about the diet of the donor mother. What if she was a smoker or a drinker. I'm sure I've read about trace elements of these toxins in breastmilk. I don't smoke, didn't drink and I made sure I ate the best diet when I was BF so my babies would have the most benefit.
    If I couldn't BF I'd consider using a milk bank but there is a lot to consider isn't there, and not just about AIDS.

That is an interesting point about the smoking etc, I would imagine that they screen the mothers and that they would need to meet a set standard. I wonder how is works in the US. I have been searching the net to try and find direct information about the milk bank and how it works but keep coming up empty handed.

I donate blood - but I wouldn't want a blood transfusion either, unless it was absolutely life or death. I dont see the difference.
    I wouldn't want someones bodily fluids in my body or my babies, unless it was absolutely neccessary. But for those who need it, I would be happy to donate my milk - if I had excess and it was convenient.

People who have had piercings or tattoos can't even donate full blood for a certain period of time afterwards - I think only the platelets are used?? I would imagine milk donations would have similar restrictions. It would be scary to think what people could do, and not tell the bank about it. I would just rather not risk it.

Fiona

Custardtart Guest

Heh... if you're concerned about contaminants, have a look at what cows are raised on sometime!

Kerrie

I really can't decide if I would donate or feed him of someone else milk? I guess it is a hard decision until you are in that situation.

My aunty, when she was breastfeeding, this is over 30 years ago had heaps of milk and actually donated it to the premies unit for them to drink. It was done then, why not now?

Custardtart Guest

A lot of those sort of services stopped when they discovered more about communicable diseases like hepatitis et al.

Kerrie

i love this topic, it is so interesting hearing other's responses. here's mine.

i would donate breast milk and if i, for some reason, couldn't breastfeed would choose donated breast milk over formula.

i have breastfed friends and my sisters babys as have they fed mine when necessary. granted this was an easy decision as i knew them well and their practices (re no smoking, alcohol and healthy diet) were the same as mine but if the milk was pasturised i don't see the difference in drinking pasturised cow or goats milk.

hmmmm this is an interesting one.
    anyone for milk and cookies?
    love beckles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12