Thread: Milk Intolerances / Lactose intolerance

Question Milk Intolerances / Lactose intolerance

Did your child grow out of an intolerance to milk or lactose?

If yes, how & when? How did you find out, when did they grow out of it?

When Matilda first had milk, she would have diarrhoea for 1-2 days afterwards and as we were introducing it slowly we worked it out pretty quickly. We discussed with our GP who was a dietician as well and she suggested staying on formula/toddlers milk until she was 2 and during that time every few months trialling milk and see how we go. Until now, every 50mls of milk Matilda would drink would come out in 4-6 runny nappies the next day. She could eat products with milk or dairy cooked in them, but not uncooked. Yogurt was fine though.

So here we are she is just over 2 and this week we have started adding 50mls of milk here or there in things like cereal, milo drinks etc...so daily she has had 50mls of milk on its own. Still waiting for the diarrhoea to start, but I think we will start increasing her milk intake & see how we go.

Cath78 Guest

My daughter supposedly has a lactose intolerance but she does not have runny nappies like Matilda - she is quiet the opposite - very constipated!

The MCHN "diagnosed' her and said that due to her ezcema, constipation and family history (her uncle had a milk alergy) that it was very likely she had a latose intolerance. Tried her on S26 LF and this hasn't made a difference. I am doubting that she had this intolerance!

She hasn't grown out of it yet as she is only 6 months old but the MCHN said we could try weaning her off the latose free milk at 12 months

Christy, can I ask you a question re the colour and texture of Matilda's poos when she had diarrhoea when you first picked up on this?

Was it really watery? And very pale? Or just sloppy? What colour was it?

Sorry, that is way TMI, but since we switched Charlie to cows milk a few weeks ago, his poos are really really pale and loose, but not watery, and really frequent.

I was pondering whether he may have a cows milk intolerance, and if I can compare to Miss Matilda, it may start the ball rolling with me getting him tested........

Pale & loose is what Matilda's looks like on cows milk. She went from having 1 poo daily on average to 3-4 runny loose ones, not diarrhoea thickshakes (ok maybe TMI) but definately no where near as formed as they were before. Almost pre-solids poos that were lighter in colour. HTH!!!

Ummmmm, same as Charlie then. MIght have to take him off for a poo test.

tiggy Guest

Ivy has been diagnosed after many months of vomiting and really disgusting poo.
    She is on the Soy at the moment and this was good for a while but now we seem to be back to square one. We are off to see the paed tomorrow because we don't know where tog ofrom here.
    One of my other girls was deemed Lactose intolerant and we kept her on Soy until she was just over 2.

Tiggy, could you try goats milk formula? The natropath thinks coco's exczma is from dairy, and said to try the cows milk. It was going great and then I gave her some multigrain cereal and it flared again, so Im thinking wheat AS WELL>
    I gave Tilly milk at 1 and twice she vomited so I had her on soy for four years. After that we went back to milk and she has had exczma since. So she didn't grow out of it, but it isn't like when she was a bub, the exzma is not bad. Even so, the natropath also recommended I put tilly on A2 milk and it would help. So maybe if you find out about goat's milk and/or A2 milk. Both still dairy, but seems to not have same effect as cow's milk!
    xoox

Hmmm, I don't really think you can grow out of latose intolerance, but you can grow into it like I did.

At the end of the day it is milk for cows not humans, there are plenty of other ways to gt calcium into them and as long as the yoghurt is Ok I would stick with that.

I started to give Alex cows milk again nearly two weeks ago and we have had a couple of horrible nappies but nothing like when we found out he was lactose and i must admit they look better than when he was on the soy milk.
    He has about 400mls a day of cows milk and is sleeping fine with it also.

So he was about 15months old. Hopefully he will be able to continue with cows milk.

Christy if Matilda is okay with what cows milk you are giving her then just increase it over time. Good luck and i hope everything works out well with the cows milk.

I was just wondering the same thing....

Zander has been having really runny poos lately, almost like liquid & I put it down to teething. But I had a think about it yesterday & I can't remember the last time he had a solid poo at all. How bad is that So today we're off to get some soy milk and see how he goes. We're getting his 18mony (OMG) needles next month so I can say right this has been happening & soy milk has / hasn't helped. At least we'll be on the way....

Charlie must have sensed a trip to the Dr was on the way because this morning he has done a cricket ball of a solid poo..........LOL

tiggy Guest

LOL Lucy, that's funny!

Careful on the soy milk too though, it can be really strong for little tummies in other ways. Always go for the organic as soy is one of the most bombarded crops pesticide-wise.

tiggy Guest

Well, my "paed" was no help at all. I think I am done with that doctor.
    *Sigh*

Tiff thats awful... I hate it when they seem to just shrug their shoulders at you. Matilda got that the first two times I brought it up with the GP and finally at 12 months they did some tests to find out. I have tried goats milk too & she hasn't had as many issues with it. But it can be so dear...

Lulu I grew into milk intolerance as well. Our GP said that sometimes little ones take longer to be able to tolerate the milk proteins and lactose that is full on in cows milk but has been reduced in formulas and other things... but sometimes they do grow out of it. I *hope* that is the case...

tiggy Guest

Ivy's vomiting and loose, mucousy poo started when I was BF. I was told that if there was a high content of dairy in my diet then it could effect her. When I put her on the formula it became much much worse. The soy, for her has made no difference, other than give her smellier, thicker vomits.

Theresa, how did you find that your girls were protein intolerent? What symptoms did they have, if you don't mind me asking.

tiggy Guest

Thank Theresa,
    What you described re the vomiting sounds just like Ives. She;ll have a HUGE projectile vomit first up and then continues to vomit until her next feed when it all starts again. She has the yucky poo but she also has terrible eczema.
    The other thing is that she NEVER sleeps and is always writhing. Poor little poppet.
    They diagnosed reflux and it has only been after a recent hospital stint that the paed suggested lactose intolerence (again) It had been hinted at when we were in the NICU and I cut down my dairy to no avail.
    We are going to see a new paed on the 30th, he's in Newcastle and comes HIGHLY recommended. So I will go with what I know and see what he has to say. Thank you so much for the info.