thread: Need advice on how to handle a fussy 10mth old...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Nov 2008
    Melbourne
    2,008

    Thanks MR, I think that is what I needed (and tbh wanted) to hear. I guess I just need to be a little bit tougher...

    Do you think that if he does eat well that I still give him fruit or yoghurt at the end of the meal, or maybe hold off on that for a bit? Also if I am introducing something new, lets say a risotto for example that has veggies etc in it, should I give it with some steamed veggies that he does like, or does that only encourage him to stick with the same old favourites?

    I guess where I get a bit stumped by the whole thing is that sometimes (actually quite rarely) I will give him something new, like the fish the other day and even tofu last night, and he will take to it straight away... But then there are things like a baked chicken and vegie dish or bolognese or cauliflower that he won't even touch...

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Jul 2008
    summer street
    2,708

    I think too much emphasis is placed on food at such a young age. Dd was a great eater then not so great and now ok...showing that what your ds likes know may totally change in a few months. We just give dd whatever we eat. If she doesn't like it, then never mind, she'll have a bfeed instead.

    I too thought I would reduce feeds by 12 months, but when we got there I realized dd was still so little! Breastfeeding is so much more then food, so I hope you are able to keep feeding.

    GL! You're a very caring mummy!!

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Jul 2006
    Logan
    2,991

    Thanks for posting this MissE and thanks Manta for giving some great advice.. We are having similar issues here. In my experience my bubs go off pumpkin first because I'll always used it as a first food and they seem to get sick of it.

    You'll also find that your little man will eat very well at times and then go off food or certain flavours or textures periodically as well. My theory is to keep offering.

    My DD2 (who is 2.5years old) didn't like solids much and I always caved in and gave her the foods that she did liked after a main meal. Consequently she is a real fussy eater and we have massive tanties if she doesn't get the food she wants. We are currently addressing this issue.

    GL xxoo

  4. #4
    Life Subscriber

    Jul 2006
    Brisbane
    6,683

    Miss E, I'm glad that you found my post helpful. I think if he eats well then it's fine to offer fruit or yoghurt afterwards. It's really a personal preference. Also, with regard to new foods, I think often we, as mums, make solids more complicated than we need to. I would cook whatever you usually cook for your family, and offer some to your DS. This is both easier for you now, and better for you all down the track, as it means that your DS will get to like your typical family foods earlier. Many of us find things much easier with subsequent siblings, as we just don't have time to cook anything different and we quickly find that our little ones are just fine with our usual meals.

    All the best hun.

  5. #5
    BellyBelly Member

    Feb 2007
    3,734

    i really agree with MR (both posts)....
    DS2 had v low int insolids - now he is starting to woplf stuff down - and it is all our normal food. i find annabel karmel has some good food ideas in her books - i just got the finger foods one and have made a few things which both boys love...
    Since solids dont play too much of a part nutritionally for a while yet I just offer and if he eats - great.
    I do offer fruit/yog or something after - but i get him to try other tastes/textures.
    i also think trying things quite afew times is important so i make things available and he takes it from there...

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Nov 2008
    Melbourne
    2,008

    i find annabel karmel has some good food ideas in her books - i just got the finger foods one and have made a few things which both boys love...
    I saw that finger foods book a couple of months a go and am now kicking myself for not buying it at the time! I've been looking everywhere for it now and nowhere seems to have it

  7. #7
    BellyBelly Member

    Feb 2007
    3,734

    i buoght it on fishpond (i think that's what its called)
    i could photocopy you some pages and email/post them to you... PM me if you want to (and what type of things you want - veg, chicken, fish, meat etc)