Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: not a birth story... but something just as big (long)

What a lovely update. So glad to hear that all is still going well.

Hi,

That is a very inspirational story. To be honest, I would suggest you don't need to express at all with shield. It is largely a myth that shields reduce your supply. (but of course for many women the poor attachment which lead to the nipple shields in the first place is the cause of the poor supply) However, you seem to be doing great. Over the next week or two see and LC or breastfeeding counsellor and see if you can ditch the shields - for your ownlong term convenience.

Belfie - congratulations! I am thrilled that the breastfeeding is going so well for you

well done thats a great story and journey xoxoxox

You are truly an inspiration Belfie! I felt an amazing sense of admiration reading about your journey.
    You rock!

You are both amazing and I am SOO pleased for you hun, I know how hard you worked before Annika arrived and how much it worried you and LOOK AT YOU GO GIRL!!! Awesomeness!!!

Well done hun! I especially adore the sign you made! I wish you all the best for the rest of your bf journey!

Quote Originally Posted by Barb Glare View Post
    Hi,

To be honest, I would suggest you don't need to express at all with shield. It is largely a myth that shields reduce your supply. (but of course for many women the poor attachment which lead to the nipple shields in the first place is the cause of the poor supply) However, you seem to be doing great. Over the next week or two see and LC or breastfeeding counsellor and see if you can ditch the shields - for your ownlong term convenience.
    Thanks Barb. I've spoken to my LC and we both think I can safely stop expressing unless there's a side that hasn't been draining well. I've been doing that for the last few days and feeling fine with it. I'm also going to start attempting to attach DD without the shield part-way through feeds. I feel like my nipple is a better shape after feeding than expressing, so will try little by little, particularly on days when DS is at daycare (as he generally wants to get as close as possible to both of us while we feed! There's lots of "cuggles" going on!).

And big thank yous to the rest of the cheer squad it makes my day.

I feel a bit nervous about attempting shieldless attachment as I've never had any success historically... so will just try remind myself to keep calm, keep baby calm - and if it's not working (or hurting hideously) then stop & try again another day. Because our initial latching WAS very painful (but that has now settled considerably) sometimes I'm not sure how much pain is normal and how much isn't. I know that BF'ing "shouldn't" hurt, but it certainly was toe-curling pain for those first 30 seconds initally. So saying, that isn't the case now so I suppose I should assume that a good shield-free latch will hopefully be painfree.

And finally, Annika's weight gain is great... another 305g in 8 days... but our MHCN thinks she has thrush. Her tongue is looking quite white-coated. My nipples seem to be fine... but I've started using the daktarin gel on both nipples and A's mouth after feeds. I figure I'll also make sure I eat well (not too much sugar) and take some probiotics. Any other suggestions? Also, I'm now wondering if I should wait to attached shield-free once the thrush has cleared up? And do I need to sterilise the nipple shields differently or more often (currently do microwave steriliser once a day).

TIA!
    Belfie

You are totally amazing, good job!

*ETA* I was only ever told to wash with warm soapy water, I never sterilised my nipple shield.

I reckon you'll be off those shields in no time You're so close now and once she's a little bit bigger she'll have no worries getting a good mouthful.

I agree with Marcellus - you will beat the nipple shields in no time.
    You have experienced quite a few *firsts* in this breastfeeding relationship - you will soon add feeding without a nipple shield to the list! Good on you.

Your strength and determination is amazing Bel. Just wanted to pop in and say go girlies!!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234