thread: Ok to sleep straight from breast?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber. Love a friend xxx

    Sep 2008
    Melbourne
    1,424

    At seven days old? Yes. Whatever works for both of you. In a few months' time if you decide that you don't want to feed to sleep (I have done with both and haven't had an issue but if it's not for you) then you can maybe encourage a bit of feed-play-sleep cycle. But in my opinion, you and bub know best and a nice warm full tummy and a body full of happy hormones is relaaaaaxxxxxing!

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Apr 2011
    251

    yup do what you need to now. recover, learn and grow as mum then later when your out of the baby/birth haze decide for your self what is or is not working.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Jun 2009
    in the Capital
    1,478

    The best advice is: listen to what other people tell you, nod politely and then do what you feel is the best thing to do. Oh, and refrain from telling them that you didn't go with what they said.

    FWIW, I think our routine was eat-sleep-eat-play-eat-sleep-play-eat-play-sleep.... well, he just did whatever he felt like doing. If he finished feeding and was all alert, sure we'd have a play. But if he was nodding off I took it to mean he wanted a sleep - who was I to complain?!

    Go with your gut instinct. You are your baby's mum and you know what works for you both.

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld
    14,682

    Wow playing with a 7 day old? Heaps of time for that! Just enjoy your baby snuggles and if she falls asleep while feeding, then so be it! My DD3 (the only one I successfully breastfed) took all her day naps on me and fed to sleep up until about 7 months. Then I used to feed her to sleep on the bed and escape after she had fallen asleep.

    She weaned when I fell pregnant with this one, so just before 23 months. Make the most of it I say - you'll miss it when they grow up!

    Whatever works for you is THE best thing to do. Don't worry about the feed/play/sleep thing yet - plenty of time to worry about that later.

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria
    8,924

    Feeding to sleep is awesome. It is nature's way of helping your little one go to sleep. Just go with it for as long as you can.

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Nov 2011
    Perth
    1,090

    I'm still feeding DS to sleep at 10 months old with no plans to stop doing so.

    Some say its a bad habit, but its the quickest, calmest, cuddly way to get him off to sleep.

    So as long as she has done a burp, I don't see how playtime would make her sleep longer. Strange comment that one.