I was expressing as often as possible - not quite every 3-4 hours. And was getting about 50-60ml. I started taking the motillium, for four days I suffered with intense headaches, upset stomach & restlessness - and NO increase in my supply... so I stopped taking it... and kept expressing...
I had an appointment with the LC - but she cancelled & we went another week with the FF and EBM. Probably one feed a day was entirely EBM. And then the supply dropped even more 20-30mls.
Then I saw the LC on monday & she was very helpful but I still cant get my baby to attached without severe nipple damage - one attempt at feeding needs about 24hrs recovery. The nipple shield kind of slips off when we try to use it and baby still cant get enough nipple/brest into her mouth...
I didnt express at all yesterday (i curse myself for this!!) and now today when I tried to start again - I have even less of a supply - 10mls?!?
We have an appointment to get my babys tongue tie snipped (which upsets me) in the hope that it will fix her attachment problems. Trouble is that now I have to try get some kind of supply back because otherwise she wont have any breast milk at all!!
Is it possible to come back after my milk nearly drying up?!? I feel terrible!!
It is possible to get your supply back - but your story indicates the importance of keeping up your expressing schedule if you want to maintain your supply. When your breasts become very full and are not drained, it tells your body to "turn off" your milk supply. Frequent feeding/expressing will restart it. What a roller coaster couple of weeks you have had - very difficult. You are doing a great job to hang in there. Get back on that pump, and pump every 3 hours. It can be discouraging when you get such small amounts - but bit by bit it will come back.
Getting the tongue tie snipped will be easier than you think - it's the most minor of procedures.
I knew I should have kept expressing but my breasts werent full at all and I wasnt getting much milk when I was expressing... I got into a bit of a downward spiral...
I have decided to try & continue with the motillium & an intense & regular expressing schedule. We will see the LC again on monday & hopefully the doc will snip babys tongue on monday also. If that solves the attachment issue it will be a big relief.
From what I understand the baby will be able to draw more milk from my breasts than expressing would & she will also increase my supply as she feeds?
I hope we can get it sorted... I so badly want to be able to feed her myself...
Thanks for your help! No one tells you about issues like this!!
Bookmarks