Thread: Ouch...what to do about biting?

Default Ouch...what to do about biting?

So, I think baby number 2 is so much easier. You kind of know what you're doing and you know to enjoy all the little stages as they pass so quickly. I have been in baby love gaga land for the most part....until...I got two badly bitten nipples tonight, after a week of sleep deprivation and hard day with a cranky tired toddler.

My DS- 4months, seems to be sprouting the dreaded teeth and he bit me really hard on one side. I quickly pulled away and bit my tongue to stop the profanities threatening to escape my lips and he screamed the place down. We cuddled and shushed and he was obviously still hungry as we'd hardley started the feed. I couldn;t put him back on the first side as the pain was still bringing tears to my eyes so I put him on the second side. 2 minutes later- Bite and pull. Ouch, ouch ouch!

I remember when DD was older having a few biting issues and putting her on the ground, saying no etc. But he is only 4 months. None of that would work and hes a 2 hourly feeder, day and night. How can I stop him from chomping, its not going to be good for him or me if my nipples are too sore and bruised to feed properly.

At the moment he is next to me gooing, gaaing and looking absolutely-butter-wouldn't-melt-in-his-mouth-angellic. He is too cute.... I wouldn't believe the pain he could cause if I hadn't experienced it first hand. I know my reaction scares him too...he screams and cries, all I do is jump and stop the feed, no noise, but he knows.

Any ideas much appreciated.
    Last edited by PollyA; July 11th, 2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: runaway emoticon in the wrong place,,,wondereed where he's gotten too!

Owwch! Can't help much, but my DS2 has been biting over the last month & seems to have stopped in the last week. All I did was say no if it was really bad and grit my teeth if it wasn't (& I was trying to get him to sleep). I reckon he just grew out of it. Hope it gets better for you.

Can you try and pick if there's a reason he's biting and get him off before he does it? My DD bit me once at 3 mths, but my yelps scared the poor little thing so much she never tried again!

I would pay attention to his attachment too, if he's attached correctly he shouldn't be able to bite and he's probably slipped off a bit when he does so. GL!

Thanks guys,
    This is what I have found helpful over the weekend, although not easy.
    It is not so much about attachment as the ability to unattach and bite so I have fed him in a quiet, non distracted way and tried not to talk while feeding. It helps to hold his head firm so he can't pull back and eye contact seems to help.
    He mostly bites at the start of the feed when all of this is more important, I can relax a little once we;ve started.
    The only problem is these strategies reduce my multi tasking ability a lot, and he feeds 2 hourly so I am hoping the biting phase is short lived. I have called out in pain a couple of times. Maybe getting in early and pulling him off he'll figure it out eventually. I hope so for the sake of my nipple health

DS does this to me also.. i'm dreading teeth. It's not horribly painful unless he gets the very end but it's still uncomfortable. The only way I can get him off is to wait for him to let go, tho. Little bugger. I've been telling him "no" VERY firmy and then saying "naughty" and he gets this rabbit in the headlights look about him and lets go, and looks at me like i'm the meanest person in the whole world LOL. If he does it again I take him off and away, and wait a few minutes and try again.
    the way I see it is i don't hurt him so he shouldn't hurt me!

Probably not the best advice, as he still does it - mind you he'll do it for a few days then stop - but I"m hoping it might sink in for him soon... or he'll grow out of it. Whichever comes first!

If he's doing it at the start Polly, it might be frustration in trying to stimulate your let down faster. You could try expressing a little bit by hand first to see if that helps him? He wants what he wants right NOW!