Thread: Possetting? Is it a sign that finally he is getting enough?

Smile Possetting? Is it a sign that finally he is getting enough?

Ok, may be I am clutching at straws but after early lack of/low supply issues I am looking for some reassurance that things have finally turned the corner.

I know that possetting is perfectly normal. But does anyone know whether it is a sign that bubs finally has a full tummy after a feed? DS#2 (3 weeks old) has finally started to possett after feeds.

TICKLISH

From what I've read, for some babies it can be a sign that they have had too much - but some babies are just "happy chuckers" too! So whether it's a sign that he's had enough? I'm not sure!

What about other signs of him getting enough (lots of wet & dirty nappies, putting on weight, satisfied after feeds, etc).

Ticklish I am sorry to say that it is not necessarily. In some bubs that dont get enough, that is all they are getting and it is reflux, however, the best way to tell is the number of wet nappies he has and how well he gains weight. Em had reflux and lactose intolerance and was always bringing up little bits of milk. it was only after she was admitted to hospital and put on a nasal gastric tube that we could tell that it was reflux and it was all that she had in her belly. Keep an eye on the nappies, and if they have any pink staining go to emergency. also keep an eye on his weight gains, if he is gaining then dont worry. you can also try express feeding regulary to see exactly how much he gets.

For your sake I do hope that it is only posseting and nothing to worry about, but do keep an eye on him. It took a little while for me to realise how sick Em was.

Hi,

I bet you have turned the corner! 3 weeks is a time when things often start to come together - and by 6 weeks it really starts to get a bit easier. By three weeks, your baby shoud be having 8-12 feeds in 24 hours, (and be waking and demanding these feeds - an *assertive* baby is a good baby) should be back over his birthweight, and should be gaining over 150g per week. There should be 5 good wet disposable nappies and at least one good poo each day - the type that goes up there back and down their legs. Does that soound like your little one?
    Regards
    Barb

Thanks for your responses ladies.

Thanks Barb I we have turned the corner.

Yes bubs is getting and demanding 8 - 12 feeds per 24 hours. He is VERY assertive.

Gets weighed at the end of the week so we will check that.

He has very wet nappies but NO poos!!!

He only does number #2's once a week so far - so being 3 weeks old he has only had 2 dirty nappies since passing meconium. The last dirty nappies was the biggest one I have ever seen - IT WAS HUGE - it never thought so much could come out of something so tiny - it would have gone up his back and down his legs several times. So far I have been told not to worry about the infrequent dirty nappies. I know it is not the usual thing for newborns, but could he simply have more mature bowel habits right from birth?

TICKLISH

Ticklish: it does sound like he is getting enough, with all that wee and poop! well done hun, you are doing a great job! I am sorry if my first post came across negatively, I just know that I was in denial and just assumed that she was a light wetter, not that she wasn't drinking. You are doing a fantastic job and any mum worries about their bub, whether they are well or not! :hugs:
    Last edited by alioops; June 23rd, 2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: wrong username! oops!

Alioops - don't worry, I wasn't offended at all. My DS#1 was a really chucky baby, had reflux and I also believe he had lactose intolerance too, but fortunately he was never bad enough to go to hospital. Sorry that you had to go through all that with your DD and she was admitted to hospital.

I know that the possetting DS#2 does is not reflux because it is very different to what his brother had. He just seems to do it when he has fed a lot. He is doing even more poos now and they are HUGE!!

TICKLISH

Default He is getting enough!

YEAH - DS#2 was weighed last week and having excellent weigh gains - so yes, he is getting enough.

TICKLISH

Good on you, your persistance and hard work have paid off - and your "mummy instincts" told you what the scales eventually confirmed - you are doing a great job!

Barb

Good on you!!!

My first bubba was a breeze - he was 95th percentile born and kept on wanting to feed - lots of nappies and all that, 250 - 300g gain a week for the first month!! Then along came my DD - only little and threw me into the loony bin nearly with all the worry, she was a BIG happy chucker and gained only about 90 - 100g per week. she is now 3, weighs 12kg and is still teensy, but healthy and full of personality

So I take a lot from your posts to really trust my gut in another few months when this one arrives ... keep up the goodd work.