Thread: Question re Fenugreek etc...

Default Question re Fenugreek etc...

I'm just wondering how early I can starting taking Fenugreek (or other natural supplements) to increase my supply? Can I start as soon as my milk comes in? Or even before? (ie. as soon as the baby is born?)

The reason I ask is because my milk got off to a very slow start with my son. It took while to come in and my supply was generally fairly low. This was due to a number of factors including his prematurity (born @ 32w and unable to BF at birth) and the heavy duty blood pressure meds that I had to take from a few days before his birth to a few months after his birth. I had to express all his feeds for him to be tube fed for his first few weeks and for the first week or two I was only just (sometimes not quite) keeping up with his demand. And we are only talking a few mls at a time for those initial feeds...

I'm now PG again and possibly facing a similar situation as with my son - the doctors think I will more than likely have another early birth and I am already on BP meds (although a milder version than I was on previously). I want to be prepared, just in case as I would really like to get off to a better start this time and encourage a decent supply early on if I can...

Debbie Lee Guest

I'm very interested in the answers you get from this, Bec. I too have been wondering the same things

I took fenugreek the day I came home from hospital (day 3) because my milk hadn't come in & I was concerned because of what happened last time. My milk came in that arvo, so not sure if it was going to happen or not

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

hi Bec-wow almost to 3rd trim.

I don't know about taking anything before but have you seen ABA breastfeeding with prems booklet -someone told me about it.

Did you get to see a LC last time ? maybe see one before bub is due. Most major hospitals have them and I was able to see one before birth.

Did the Drs prescribe motilium last time ?

I hope you can go safely longer than you did with Joshua. From what I read the premmie thing is a big thing in delaying milk and that baby sucking helps milk productionmore than anything.

Thanks for the replies girls.

Christy, like you said, there's no way to tell, but it would be interesting to know if your milk would have come in that afternoon anyway, or if the Fenugreek sped things up a bit...

Trish, I haven't seen that booklet, will have to check it out. I did see a LC with Joshua...I actually saw a couple of different ones but to be honest, they weren't that helpful. I told them both about my low supply concerns and their only suggestion was to express after every feed, which didn't really make a difference. I wasn't prescribed anything to boost my supply and at the time, I didn't even know that was an option. Having read up on BB since then, I now know that there are many more options available to me, so if the same thing happens again this time around I will make sure I get on top of it from the start. Like you suggested, I will look at speaking with a LC before the birth this time too. Now that I've been through it once already, I'll know the right questions to ask. Thanks again for the link you PMd me too.

Debbie, I noticed your post in one of the sticky threads about Fenugreek after I started this one. I'd love to hear about anything else you might turn up in your research...

Bec, Sorry I have no answer's for you. Just wanted to say HI and hoping that your doing well. Fingers crossed this little baby stays put for a lot longer. She's got heaps more cooking to do.

I was also going to suggest RLT, but given your premmie history it's probably not the best idea. Maybe you can start shoving the Activite down your throat too.

Loads of luck hun and I hope you find out some more info.

ETA. Bec I just found this, thought I would share it with you.
    Blood pressure problems or heart disease: Fenugreek is commonly reported to lower blood pressure and LDL blood cholesterol levels. White (author) indicates, however, that it may cause or contribute to hypertension (high blood pressure) - this source recommends avoiding this herb if you have a history of hypertension, or if there is a strong family history of hypertension or heart disease.
    Also

Potential Side Effects

• Sweat and urine smells like maple syrup (this is common and often a sign that you have reached the right dose)
    • Loose stools in some women, which go away when fenugreek is discontinued
    • Hypoglycemia in some mothers
    • Can cause uterine contractions - do NOT use if you're pregnant
    • Diabetic mothers should use caution with fenugreek since it can cause lowering of blood glucose levels. (5)

So maybe it isnt' such a great idea for you to try out yet ??
    Last edited by Trish; January 15th, 2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Adding info

Debbie Lee Guest

Ooo good job with that info, Trish!
    Oooer @ it not being advised for people with a history of hypertension... that's me Bugger it. Looks like it's aktavite for me!

Hi Trish! I'm doing well thanks.

Thanks for all that info. I hadn't heard about the connection between Fenugreek and hypertension. I don't have hypertension in day to day life, just when I'm pregnant. Wonder if that makes a difference? (Thinking of post-birth). Something I will have to look into a bit further. Definitely won't take it for the time being. The Activite drink will be a goer though...

And yep, hopefully this little one will cook for a lot longer yet. Even just a couple of weeks more than Joshua would be nice. Fingers crossed!

No worries girls. I just did a quick search on Fenugreek and came up with that stuff. Of course there are loads of benifits too, but I figured I show you the important ones first