thread: Questions about breastfeeding during pregnancy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Mar 2009
    2,269

    Should also add the way I knew my milk had gone back to colostrum was DD1s nappies - YIKES. Newborn consistency with toddler diet... its quite the experience haha.

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Feb 2007
    Ma hoos
    1,062

    My DS1 was had just turned 2 when I got pg with DS2, was 2y8m when DS2 was born. He was feeding prob 2-3 times a day (morning cuddle, afternoon sleep, going to bed). He persisted in feeding all the way through my pregnancy, which I mostly gritted my teeth for, because my nipples were so sensitive, and it was awful at times, but no interest in weaning himself. He went without a bf while I was in hsp, but wanted to feed when I got home, at which point my milk had come in, had one drink then said "yuck, it's hot", and never bothered again.

    I would think that if a little one is going to wean when you're pg, it's mostly likely to happen sometime in 2nd tri, when your supply typically drops. But like most of this parenting stuff, there apparently aren't any rules

  3. #3

    Mar 2004
    Sparta
    12,662

    I couldn't feed through pregnancy because it was just too painful. I tried to battle through but I ended up weaning.

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Apr 2011
    On cloud nine!!!
    587

    I have read (cant remember where though) that the younger the first child is when you get pg the more likely they are to wean sooner. That's definitely been my experience, ds1 was 4 1/2mths when I got pg with dd1 and he basically refused STRAIGHT AWAY! I persisted for 6wks but he was just way to stressed out not wanting it that we gave up when he was 6mths old dd1 feed until she was 1 I was around 12wks I think, she wouldve keep going but my milk had all but disappeared. Very similar with dd2 only she was a few months older when I got pg and fed until no milk around 4mths. And this time ds2 was quite happy to keep BFing until around a month ago (he was about 17mths give or take) same as the girls it appears to be from lack of supply but possibly partly change in taste because I have been leaking colostrum since he weaned. As far as I am aware it is usual to have colostrum from around 20wks but most women don't know because they aren't leaking or if BFing it is just mixed with 'normal' milk. Three and a half years is a WONDERFUL effort you should be proud to have stuck with it so long even if Z decides he's had enough, well done mumma!

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD
    5,171

    Thank you for the replies ladies! Will have to see how we go.

    I started leaking at 14 weeks with DS. Lol wonder if that will have any influence on it...

    LOL Jellyfish, that sounds nasty!

  6. #6
    Registered User

    May 2010
    victoria
    436

    I think my milk is starting to change, thanks to Jellyfish's poo description LOL! DS has gone from a 1-2 times a week pooper, and we always knew when he was going to poo because he would get a bit agitated (fear from previous poo issues). Now though he is going daily/every second day, and he isnt getting agitated at all so I have no idea he has pooped until the smell hits me baha. And they are explosive, just like Jellyfish described!
    And he is taking AGES to feed to sleep at night as he is swapping sides a million times and I am not feeling as many let downs happening.

    I am only 6 weeks tomorrow though, isnt it a bit early? Maybe its just coincidence, but I cant think of what would explain the poo as his diet hasnt changed lol

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria
    8,924

    I had quite a dip in first tri, and then it stabilised again. I just kept feeding through, and it worked ok. Feeding to sleep also stopped here during pregnancy (and it was the only way i had ever got DD to sleep other than the car). After awhile, i began giving dd a drink of cow milk at night and then a breastfeed. It helped get her to sleep without having marathon sessions that were doing my head in. I was pretty conservative in offering this, and i think it was around 100ml max because i didn't want her to wean, but it is an option.