thread: She hasn't grown in 3 months

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Jul 2006
    Melbourne
    4,895

    I'd not worry too much. My DD who just turned 5yo weighs under 16 kg and has hovered around there for about 2 yrs now. She was a slow weight gainer and dropped into the 5th percentile quickly. I used to stress about it but there was nothing I could do. DD is just a small eater and is petite. Given your DD eats meat and other foods plus still BF I don't think there is anything else to do.
    I relation to the walking, they do that in their own time, something clicks and off they go!

    If it is truly bothering you, get a referral to a pead. GL

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD
    5,171

    First of all, go with your gut. If you feel something might be wrong get her checked.

    Having said that, here is our story.
    DS was a very fast grower. We were buying a new outfit every week to keep up with him.
    Then he hit 10 months and just stopped. He wasnt gaining weight, he wasnt getting longer, his head wasn't growing. He stayed at 9.5kgs for months.
    I took him to a few doctors and they told me he was fine. His out put was normal and he was still I'm the "normal" range for development.
    By his 1st birthday he was 9.9kgs. He had gained 400 grams in 4ever months. That small amount could have just been a difference in the time of day our whether he had eaten before he was weighed!
    He wasnt really talking -only said mum dad and car
    He walked at 18months.
    Started copying words at 22 months.
    By his second birthday he was 12kg. He wore the same shirts/ clothes from when he was 10months until he was 2 years old.
    His language has since developed quickly.
    He's now 3 and speaks in short sentences that he has constructed himself. He is only 14kgs but has had a few huge growth spurts in the last few months. He hasn't gained weight but he is growing in length very quickly. Every time I buy a pair of pants he's out grown the legs in a couple of weeks. He is skinny but healthy. He rarely gets sick and he is a happy energetic little boy.

    I found it so hard not to compare him to what his peers were doing, what the books said he should be doing and taking him to doctors to make sure there was nothing wrong with him. But he was just doing it in his own time. I wasted so much time obsessing over what he "should" be doing that I couldn't enjoy what he WAS doing.

    Not saying this is the case for you, definately get her checked over and follow your instincts. But try not to let it consume you, enjoy her as she is, because, sadly, you never get that time again.

    it is so so stressful.