Thread: Starting solids - no poo!

Billy Ocean Guest

Question Starting solids - no poo!

Hi all,

I've just started giving my 5 1/2 month old some solids. Only once per day (if that) and just pureed pumpkin and some apple.

Just a little concerned as he hasn't really done a proper poo for 3 days. This is day 4. He did quite a firm one last night but not much.

Is this normal?

Oh the joys of knowing nothing!

Thanks.

Kate

hi, my little man did a similar thing.

try pureed pears and try and up his fluids a ltlle - itll help it.. his tummy his just adjusting to digesting food.

good luck!!!!

oh and i gave him prune juice aswell - helped him!!!

Yes it's normal! Both my boys took a little while to adjust to solids. Just don't over-do it at first (I'm sure you're not by the sounds of things) and make sure he has lots of fluids.

The first couple of hard poos can be quite painful for a bub so if he is straining and crying, you'll know why!

That sounds normal to me too. They are having such small quantities in those early days that they can still continue that bfing pattern of not pooing for a few days a time for a little while. As you give some more the poos will gradually become more frequent, probably to two a day, or even more. Enjoy this while it lasts LOL!!

Kate I would keep a really close eye on the pooing. The same thing happened to us 3 weeks ago and she has only done normal poos in the last few days due to constipation. I keep waiting and watching, giving pureed pear, apple and prune juice to no avail. We ended up getting stool softener after a visit to the GP. So on the one hand it may be normal, on the other not.

Billy Ocean Guest

Thanks heaps ladies. He did a couple of lumpy adult-style ones then I put some Coloxyl drops in his bottle (I know, should've been a last resort) and yesterday and today he's done some ripper ones, with pumpkin in them too! Lovely! Still seems much harder than his old ones. I will keep an eye on it though. He's hardly having any "real food" yet anyway but still, was worried.

Thanks again.

Billy Ocean Guest

ps. how much prune juice would you give, what brand and do I mix it with something?

i just put a little prune juice in a sippy cup of water
    you can get it from health food shops.

I got mine at Coles and was told by a nurse to mix it 50:50 with water. Mind you, Dd's constipation was too far gone for it to have any effect.

It can be normal. And his poos will change for good now that he's on solids. They will be firmer, darker and boy, will they be smellier.
    So enjoy it while it lasts!

Saša

Billy Ocean Guest

Thanks very much everyone! I appreciate it.