thread: Still have milk....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Mar 2007
    6,979

    I didn't realise this was completely normal until a few months ago when I saw a Remedial massage therapist who specifically deals with the breasts and lactating women (current and post lactating) and he told me that the breasts don't just empty by themselves it can take quite a long time for some women. Other women can dry up quite fast. Through remedial massage he helps to drain the breasts through lymphatic drainage techniques etc.
    very interesting stuff. He told me a story about a woman who hadn't BF for 7yrs and he expressed (after massage) stale milk from her! incredible it can stay in there for so long huh?

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Dec 2009
    605

    is it the same old milk been sitting there for ages? or is it a maintained small supply?
    are there any risks of mastitis etc if you let it just sit there?

  3. #3
    Life Subscriber

    Jul 2006
    Brisbane
    6,683

    This is fairly common and nothing to worry about. By squeezing your nipples occasionally you are stimulating them a little so that might be contributing to it taking longer to stop.

  4. #4
    Registered User

    May 2007
    Warrnambool Vic
    1,476

    Hi, it's normal. I'm guessingyou wouldn't know that it was there unless you gave it a squeeze - to leave well enough alone. It doesn't need to be expressed or removed -it's fine.

  5. #5
    BellyBelly Member

    Jan 2008
    In beautiful chaos!
    2,335

    I think its a sign you should have another baby, Tan

    xx

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Jan 2007
    7,197

    Thanks all! Kass - it's not gonna happen!!!!! I have too many post attempted VBAC issues to go for #3!

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Jan 2007
    7,197

    7 mths on - yep still there!

    Just sayin'.

  8. #8
    Registered User

    Jul 2008
    800

    I think its a sign you should have another baby, Tan

    xx
    Tan, I was going to say the same thing!!

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Add ~Lashes~ on Facebook

    Aug 2010
    south eastern melbourne
    2,533

    yep i still have that to, i stoped feedin dd at 3-4 months, shes now 9 months and it never compleatly "dried up" now im having no4, more seems to be there then befor. good to know its normal!!

  10. #10
    Registered User

    Apr 2007
    SE QLD
    2,321

    I didn't have 'milk' as such, but enough that if I squeezed my boobs that milk droplets would come out. Not colostrum type milk, but milk ! It seemed to disappear just before I found out I was pregnant!

    DS stopped breast feeding in Nov 2008, and I found out I was pregnant in July 2010.