Thread: Tandem feeding

Default Tandem feeding

I can't remember if we have anyone here on BB who has tandem fed already, but if you have, I was wondering how you went about breastfeeding your older child whilst in hospital after the birth? Did they come in for visits around their normal BF time, skip the feeds altogether whilst you were in hospital or something else?

Thanks!

Fee Guest

So strange you wrote about this topic. I was just reading something on the Net about tandem feeding and how a women BF her toddler whilst she was in labour! Just amazing.

Wow @ BF whilst actually in labour! Don't know if I could manage that... although I suppose the nipple stimulation might help get the contractions going LOL!

ETA another question - if your toddler is still BF before the birth does that mean that there will be some milk present straight away for the newborn or that your milk will come in any quicker?
    Last edited by Angel; December 19th, 2006 at 11:04 AM.

i think the elder toddler is good for helping the milk come in quicker.
    also, really good for the engorgement/oversupply issues you might get aswell...
    if you go to kellymom or aba websites the have info on tandem feeding

Will have a look, thanks Joh!

Angel,
    I have tandem fed two of my babies. I was b/feeding my son when Lucy was born and she was born in a birth centre so the whole family was there so the feeding wasn't an issue.

I breastfed when I was in labour with Eva (Lucy was 16 months). Lucy climbed into the birth pool and the sight of my boobies was far too enticing for her! All of my children were with us through the birth and stayed in hospital with us so b/feeding our toddler wasn't a problem. I only stayed two nights and then was at home again so it wasn't an issue. If your toddler isn't staying in hospital with you then you could just feed him when he comes to visit.

Tandem feeding for me was a very uncomplicated experience. The baby had her turn and then the toddler. It felt very natural and normal for me...

Hey Angel,

Its been very different feeding experience for me this time around. My milk has come in quicker, but more gently if that makes sense. I am making almost the right amount of milk for Hamish already, so I have only had to express 2-3 times so far, which has been a huge difference from last time too.
    He is also a very good feeder, he's not staying on for hours and hours at a time so far, so I could very easily fit in feeding a toddler and a baby given my current situation! I think baby would have a go, then Jenna, and I would feel confident that I was making enough milk for them both without being uncomfortable.
    As for feeding during labour, nipple stimulation was the only thing that got me going through my stop start labour - I was still doing it about 45mins before he was born to try and get contractions regular again. Very silly labour I must say. A baby would have been very helpful during it all!

Depends what you are doing with Kynan and how long it all takes, but I'm just hoping to give you some positive vibes to say I reckon it wouldn't be that hard to manage.

Thanks Fi. Great to hear BF is going so well for you this time!

Deb, thank you so much for sharing your experience with tandem feeding. I don't know if I'd be able to have Kynan stay with me in hospital but the midwives have reassured me that partners and other children are welcome to visit at any time of the day or night. We live about 45mins from the hospital though so it's quite a trip! I suppose I'll just see how we go. For all I know Kynan may decide to wean himself before then although I doubt it as his interest in breastfeeding has picked up a lot lately!

Angel, I am sure it will all work out okay. Being that little bit older he will probably be happy to feed whenever it is he sees you but okay with not if you are not there (if that makes sense!).

Yeah, he loves his rice milk so hopefully that will keep him happy until he comes in for a visit. Deb, you mentioned the baby having a feed first & then the toddler - did you have any problems getting your toddler to wait until the baby had finished? Also, if the toddler woke up first in the morning would you BF them and hope the baby didn't wake up straight afterwards or would you ask the toddler to wait until after bub had a BF?

I guess it wouldn't matter so much once a good milk supply had been established but I'd like to make sure in the early days that the newborn's getting enough IYKWIM?

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

you can always just offer one side to Kynan and leave other for baby - pretty much thats how I have been feeding Sam and Joel for 5 months -except previously I was expressing one side for Joel and Sam would feed alternatively off the other side.Now Joel is having 2-4 BF s a day they only have a side each (but not same side each time IYKWIM)

Oh that's a great idea, thanks Trish!