thread: tell me about "dream feeding"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Jan 2011
    2,075

    Worked for me, but probably at about 12 weeks. Before I'd go to bed I'd pick her up and give her a top up feed. Some nights she'd have more than others.

    She only stopped a couple months ago with the dream feed.

  2. #2
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jan 2006
    11,633

    Some babies will feed in their sleep and some just won't. You can just try and see if it works.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Apr 2006
    Perth
    4,203

    I started using it with DD3 fairly early on. I would give her a dream feed around 10pm, but it was more so that I could go to bed knowing I'd get at least a couple of hours before having to wake for another feeding session. She was until very recently a shocking sleeper, so that initial block of sleep was the best I'd get all night. It certainly didn't work for prolonging her sleep or helping her sleep through the night - purely for my benefit.

    Neither DDs 1 or 2 had dream feeds. I tried a few times with each but they either flat out refused the feed, or they woke for it and then were cranky and took ages to settle. Worth giving it a try, but also be prepared for it not to work. Like MadB said, they all come with a different set of rules so don't feel like you're doing something wrong if your LO doesn't take to it.

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Jul 2006
    Melbourne
    4,895

    Some babies will feed in their sleep and some just won't. You can just try and see if it works.
    ^^This. Dream feeding didn't 'work' for us - my DD just kept waking 3-4 hourly overnight. I just let her decide when to feed in the end b/c it made no difference in her sleeping for a longer stretch. Like MadB said, you can only try.

    So you usually pick up bubs out of the cot asleep and attach them on & they feed then you put them back to bed and hope like crazy they sleep for a longer stretch! lol Usually the dreamfeed is between 10-11pm at night.