thread: Those first few sucks.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic
    8,631

    Ouch, that sounds painful! Many mums find they experience an initial tenderness when their baby attaches and begins to feed, but it should pass, which it sounds like yours does. Continuing pain (throughout the feed) indicates incorrect attachment, or some sort of other issue (damaged nipples) but if it hurts at the beginning and then eases, well that sounds pretty standard Like Rhi I used to take a deep breath and roll my shoulders, which would be all tense, and work through it.

    It should pass. Soon I hope!

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Nov 2011
    Perth
    1,090

    Yep, till DS was about 2 months old :/

  3. #3
    BellyBelly Member

    Jan 2010
    2,793

    I'm glad to hear it'll pass - I just hope it's a few weeks for me and not a few months!

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD
    5,171

    Yep, happened to me too. Occasionally I get a stingy let down still, but it definately passed fairly early - within a month or 2.

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Oct 2006
    Adelaide, SA
    3,962

    It was only a couple of weeks for me, I found the cream (started with an L, can't remember the name!) helped too after a feed.

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Jan 2008
    2,037

    Yep it happened with DD too, I used to feel so tense at the start of a feed because I knew what was coming but would just make myself start counting and breathing deep and it would taper off quite quickly. I posted about it here as we had everything right, just this pain, and I think someone said it could be like the initial 'draw through' pain or something like that. I can't find that thread so I can't even remember when it stopped, but it must have!

    Hope it eases for you soon

  7. #7
    Platinum Subscriber

    Apr 2010
    coastside, Vic
    2,172

    Still happening here, just getting better the last few days I think??
    You can express a bit first to trigger let down and hope she doesn't need to suck as strongly, but might not work.
    I do deep breathing and toe wiggling.