Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unimpressed with Heinz

Default Unimpressed with Heinz

Before I post my little rant, I want to start with saying that I am not judging anyone else's parenting, the following are my thoughts on the matter and I am not happy with Heinz for having the products, not trying to upset anyone.

I'm also not wanting to start any "solids debate", it's actually a blog post I wrote, only my blog is read by like... 2 people lol. I wanted to get more feedback and thoughts on the matter, because perhaps it's my line of thought that's incorrect and I'm just a "no fun mummy" heh.

Ok, so enough blabbering... my reason for the thread, my blog post:

Friday is grocery shopping day! Free from the drama of runaway spaghetti, this week's certainly doesn't pass without it's own noteworthy aisle - this time, the baby food section! I am still learning my way around the new Coles and was also in a 'browse' mood today, which both combined resulted in me wandering up and down every aisle just 'looking' for anything that we might need. Even though Savannah still has no interest what so ever in solids, when she does get there, I plan to put my "stay at home mum" title to good use and make her food from scratch. This not only saves us money, much needed savings at the moment, it also allows me to know exactly what's going in her precious little stomach. So really, I have no idea why I even look over the baby food jars when I'm shopping, but I do... nearly every week, it's rather odd.

Today was no different, I keep looking for something to jump out at me with a "This is a jar you have to try, you couldn't make it if you tried, buy me!" sign. Today I do spot something, something unbelievable!! Heinz Caramel Custard - labeled for 6 months plus! WHAT?! Shocked, I look a little closer and by doing so, spot it's best friend - Heinz Chocolate Custard!! Did I seriously just read that right?! Picking up the jar, while my jaw lies on the floor, I discover I did in fact read it right. Bloody chocolate and caramel flavoured custard for SIX MONTH OLD BABIES?! Who in their right mind would feed something like that to their baby?! Aren't we here to feed them nutritious food full of vegetables and fruit? They have so much life ahead of them to fill their mouths with utter crap, do we really need to kick start the habit for them? I mean really, talk about 'feeding your child fat'!!

I bought Savannah a bottle of baby Apple juice the other week (even though it took me 15 minutes of procrastination before finally buying it) and was sooo thankful when she wouldn't have a bar of it. The only reason I bought it in the first place is because I was starting to worry that she wouldn't take any solids and thought perhaps liquid form might help. But even apple juice has too much sugar for my liking. (I've since stopped worrying about her not wanting solids thanks to the very helpful ladies over at BellyBelly). I couldn't imagine feeding her chocolate or caramel custard!

Edited to add: It gets WORSE! In my googling search for a picture of the jars of custard, I've since discovered Heinz also make Chocolate Mousse and Creme Caramel - BOTH labeled 6 months plus!! I also couldn't find any images, bugger.

Oh my goodness, that is just crazy.

Hey, I have an idea, lets mix sugar, caffine, milk and egg (2 out of the 5 top allergens) and feed them to a 6 month old

Gee, I'm surprised they didn't add a bit of lard and spinkle some peanuts over the top while they were at it!!!

There are some good choices with ready made baby food but these aren't amongst them.

this is horrifying to me too!!This was one of reasons i started my own baby food business..we actually have a whole page on our website stating why we don't do desserts; babies don't need dessert, especially not at 6 mths old!! Heinz is not the only company doing this either..scary!!

Nai - a lot of Heinz food comes with "may contain traces of nuts" warnings, if i remember correctly.
    I don't care how big a company you are and how much easier it is for you to "not be certain" - NUTS & KIDS DO NOT MIX. I was so unbelievably peeved when i saw this.

Thankyou so much for the replies! It's good to know that I am not wrong in my thoughts when I first saw them. I remembered, at 3am this morning, why I look at the baby food section when shopping - it's to get ideas for food combinations for when we do start having solids, but that is a couple combinations I won't be putting together!

It's good to hear that there are other people out there that disagree with giving such young babies things like chocolate and caramel.

I got a chart produced by Watties (Heinz brand in NZ) with a list of ages to start which foods. It lists ice-cream and smooth peanut butter for 8-9 month olds.

What is worse is that it is endorsed and handed out by Plunket, the organisation that is the main support service for parents here.

Hi,

I find the combos unbelievable too. I have a friend who has a DD 2 months younger than mine who is already feeding her custard. Makes the mind boggle.. Our DD only gets home-made organics, and some store bought organics for emergencies (only the plain or vege varieties).

But I suppose it comes down to a parenting choice and while most of us are fortunately educated enough to know that these aren't a good idea at this age and avoid them, it is frustrating that these choices are there for the ones that may not be as educated.

AS for my friend feeding her DD custard, this is her 3rd child, so she doesn't take advice from me, and as she looks after my DD on Friday's I have made it very clear that DD is to only eat the food that I supply, and nothing else.

So you aren't alone, and as for home made, it def is a cheaper option and you know what our precious ones are having.

But I suppose it comes down to a parenting choice and while most of us are fortunately educated enough to know that these aren't a good idea at this age and avoid them, it is frustrating that these choices are there for the ones that may not be as educated.
    That's the primary reason for my vent - that the choice is there. I might look at it and be shocked, but there are others out there that I assume don't know, or don't care and just want to make their child 'happy' and buy it. I mean, someone has to be buying it right? Or they wouldn't still be selling it.

And with how many child obesity things we hear about, why promote that sort of eating at such a young age...

Haydies I totally agree with you. It is frightening what is availabe. I am horrifed everytime I go down that aisle. I started DS on solids earlier than 6 months (home-made as much as possible), but there is no way it will extend to "desserts" for a very long time. It worries me when babies are eating custards and desserts because "its the only thing they will eat"!!! Not good enough, but while they are still for sale people will buy them. I think a lot of people believe that as its baby food it can't possibly be bad for them.

I totally agree with you too but I am also surprised they sell juice for babies and kids when we are told constantly that juice is sooo bad for their teeth -may as well feed them softdrink. I know mothers who give their babies water with juice because they "don't like" water. I can't understand why they would then give thme juice - they're just babies and they can learn to like water! Anyway just adding to your rant!! I agree!

I have to admit I agree. I was such a naive mother first time around, I honestly believed because the companies were labeling such things as baby food it was perfectly fine. And my daughter had on a few occasions (which is still too often IMO) baby juice, chocolate custard and the like and I rarely made baby food as I didn't know how to (I know how ridiculous that sounds).

Second time around my son only ever had home made food (apart from motherly cubes every now and again) and he HATES processed foods now.

And I know ignorance is not an excuse but in my experience had it not been for information available online I would not have thought any differently. And I often wonder how many mothers followed in my pattern. Admittedly though when Paris was a baby there wasn't the emphasis on natural food or healthy eating as there is now. Mind you we were also told to feed our babies on or just before 4 months

So I guess what I'm saying is I really do feel that these companies should be taking responsibility for their marketing of junk. Some mothers don't have the family support, or the knowledge or even the online support that some have access to and so they learn to trust whats on the shelf as being "ok" I mean think about it, would you expect something to be unsafe or bad for babies to be sold... of course not. Like with the juices I honestly thought it was only natural low sugar or something, now thats naive but I doubt its uncommon. I did get better by the time my DD was 8-10 months we had stopped buying junk and I was making her food and not buying the gimmicky things like juice etc.

Anyway thats my rant. Get a grip food companies. Hopefully with a decline in sales maybe they'll get the hint!

I never knew feeding my 16 month old could cause guilt but for me it does. I make 95% of the food my son eats, he has tried the shelf custards but i always found they just went straight through him. His body telling him and me that he doesn't need that food i think!? I won't give him juice at all the only time he has probably had this is when he's grabbed someone elses cup. Why do everyone elses cups always seem more interesting that his??!! I only ever use shelf bought food when we are going out and it may be more convienient... rarely.

To make my guilt even worse i read a book about perservatives and additives in food and now i feel guilt about the food my husband and i eat too. I find it hard to trust the baby foods and i find it hard to trust our foods too. Additives and persevatives listed in this book are found in some of the shelf bought baby foods.

So i do make as much as i can from fresh fruit, veg and meat. My theory is that as long as i can control what goes in my sons mouth i will, when it becomes an issue i'll deal with it and hopefully have some luck in teaching him healthy food choices.

I agree and understand what you are saying.

totally agree with you, I coudn't believe it myself when I saw them on the shelves. Obviously there are parents who do buy them for their babies otherwise they would stop making them. Amazing what the power of money does for a company!

Laurin

Gggggrrrrrrr don't get me started on this topic, makes me so angry that these companies are allowed to sell these products for such small babies...............I have often stopped to read the ingredients on some baby food jars and I can't believe how much crap is in them.

Haydies - interesting thread you have started! I was just today in the supermarket, strolling down the isles and happened to notice the caramel custard you are talking about!

I have always been very wary of tinned baby products; I work in the fitness industry so always look at food labelling when I am shopping for myself and I intend on doing the exact same thing when I start my little man on solids. I have, in the past month or so been starting to take a closer look at labelling of baby food (just out of curiousity) and boy have I been shocked at the amount of crap as the "ingredients".

My opinion, I will be staying far, far away from processed foods. I will be creating all of his meals from scratch - my mind is made up and he isnt even born yet! hehe

There will always be the argument from some mothers that they "dont have the time". You cook food for yourself dont you? Cant be that hard to cook nutritious meals for bub too! Its called "time management" hehe..... as someone else said, people are just too niave to think that if it is on the shelf that it is ok. Its the same with baby Skin Products but yeah we wont go there, that can be another topic .... PMSL

I agree with Niliac - these companies do have to be far more accountable for the products they distribute. In saying that, regulation of products is where the problem lies..... they are the ones that need to step up their game!!

This is our future generation for crying out loud! Obesity levels are at stupendous levels NOW and if we continue to keep pumping these kind of products into our children Heart Disease and Diabetes will BY FAR take over and be the #1 killer of our precious children in the future..... when you really stop and think about it is VERY scary!

PS Jamie Oliver has created a series on the Lifestyle Food channel - called School Dinners (think its has been on FTA TV aswell?) where he is campaigning to have all processed food taken out of schools in Britain - he is so passionate about it - it is a brilliant series to watch!

I know guys I agree with you, well for the most part anyway.

I believe that custards do have a place in a childs diet, but I don't liket he idea of choc or custard ones though. If all the babies are having for their meal is custard then NO WAY!! But if they are having it after a decent meal, it's homemade, it's with some fruit and doesn't have any added sugar, then occasionally that's fine with me. We still have to make sure that they are getting enough calcium and custard is a good way to get it.

As for those who say they don't have time to cook baby food, often (not always) they are the ones that don't have time to cook their own dinner and opt for takeaway.

I made 95% of ds' food when he was a baby. I always stocked half a dozen cans in the pantry for emergencies, but they didn't get used often.

About juice. I don't understand why parents buy 'baby juice'. If your going to give you baby juice, then buy the no added sugar juices add water it down. That's all baby juice is anyway. And at least the adults can drink the rest and it's cheaper.
    Ds probably drank too much juice for today's standards (he woulod have half his sipper cup of juice and then I would top it up with water). But the recommended amount was different 12 years ago. He only ever had 100% juice and it was with lunch. He still had unflavoured milk at other times (depending on his age and requirements) and plain water for the rest of the time.
    Never did I taint his water with juice or worse, cordial because he didn't like it. Sure there are natural dislikes (I can't stand peas and I don't think htat's ever going to change) but often it's what the babies and kids have grown up with that forms their tastes.

Anyway enough of my rant lol!

I have to agree with you Haydies. I had the same thoughts when Jambin was younger and I was browsing the baby food section. I couldn't believe that the chocolate and caramel and 'egg' custards were labelled for children as young as 6 months old.

I'll admit that I have made use of jarred baby food, however I predominantly choose ones that are 100% fruit or 100% vegetables (or both in the case of the Rafferty's Garden's ones). It's so easy to make custard anyway, that I can't really see the point in buying it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast