Thread: what do you do in this situation?

Default what do you do in this situation?

DS is 14.5 months and fully BF. I started working again in April very part time, 3 hrs one day and 5 hrs another, so for those days would express milk. After a few weeks DS was able to go without milk for the day I worked 3 hrs and I fed him as soon as I got home and not long after that he got used to going without for the 5hr day too. Around the same time he dropped a day feed so now has 2 little ones in the morning, 1 before his day nap and 1 before bed. So now my supply has dropped quite a bit which is fine as I have just enough for DS and no longer get engorged at work or ever really. Only problem is now I have a great deal of trouble expressing anything...I can never get more than 15mls at a time (I have a Medela electric pump).

On my 5hr day I work 12-5pm and DS's nap is slap bang in the middle of this. He doesn't *need* the feed as he just tends to not nap on these days but then is cranky until I come home. He won't nap without a feed, DH has tried extra food, rocking him, patting him all to no avail. So I'm not really sure what to do? So far we're just making do by getting DS to wait until I come home but it would make life easier if we could just get him to sleep. It also means we can't go out at night as whoever looks after him has no chance of getting him to sleep....

The other night DH and I went out for a few hours while MIL looked after him, he ended up getting cranky and eventually falling asleep at midnight as he was just so exhausted but I'm thinking had he had some milk he would've gone to bed happy and at 9.30 like usual. So what can I do? I'm really not keen on using formula as we've gone without it all this time, but is it my only choice? Or is something like oat milk or rice milk an option? We rarely go out so it's not like he'd be having it all time. I think we can evenutally get him used to going without while I'm at work, this would mainly be for when we go out at night or if he was super cranky and as a last resort while I was at work.
    Food just doesn't seem to cut it...I think the act of sucking is what helps him know it's sleeping time. I'm seriously confused! :dontknow:
    Would love some advice

can he have cows milk in a bottle?

He has a wee bit on his weetbix but no more than a few tablespoons. Wasn't sure if a whole bottle would be to harsh on his stomach?

he should be ok as he's over 12 months, both of mine started on it after thier first birthday.

At 14.5mths if he is having cows milk in other foods and tolerating it then I would try him on that.

Kelly also posted this thread some time ago and I only just saw it today, it's a biscuit recipe to help increase milk production. It may help with the expressing if you don't want to try cows milk yet.
    Or you could try half and half..some cows and some breast milk.
    I also mine that could tolerate it, cows milk after 12mths.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...es-recipe.html

HTH

My son was slow to want to drink cow's milk from a cup but probably started around 14 months and then replaced his day time BFs with milk from a cup. Cow's milk should be fine at this age-but rice and oat milks would also be fine too (I'd be looking for calcium fortified milks though).

Thanks ladies...I actually meant to ask if mixing BM and cows milk is fine, so ta for adding that Heather
    Think I will try the combination to begin with, lactose intolerance runs in the family so not too keen on giving him lots of cows milk plus would still like him to get as much BM as possible. Good to know rice and oat milk are an option too if that doesn't work.

Hi, there,

This isn't a breastfeeding problem - it's a sleeping problem. it's nothing you created (just in case you are thinking that) At this age it isn't advisable to start a bottle - it's the time when the usual recommendations are to wean from the bottle - it is just setting up a problem that you will have to solve further down the track.
    It's generally accepted that it's the father's role to teach a baby that food and comfort are not always related. Your son is capable of learning that when he is with mummy he can breastfeed to sleep but with daddy or grandma there are other ways of getting to sleep - and this is your dp's job - not yours! You are at work.
    Dad and grandma need to get more creative. Give him some time to wind down with a story - a walk in the baby sling will d0 it just about every time. A walk in a pram, a drive around the block in the car, lying down in bed or on the couch with your little one.

I agree with Barb. Around his age my DD was getting used to being without me for a whole day while I was at work. She seemed to adjust to not having a bf during the day on those days just fine.

We found that since yoghurt was a particular favourite of hers, instead of a bf before nap-time, my gf looking after her gave her a small bowl of plain yoghurt after lunch instead. That would fill her up nicely! I always bf her right before I left her and as soon as I got back and she was happy with that.

Settling at night without a bf we didn't try for a bit longer, but sounds like everyone was a bit nervous about how he'd settle and he very likely picked up on that too. He's still only little and being without his comfort before bed is a big change for him.

I wouldn't bother with too much milk while you aren't there, particularly if you're concerned about lactose intolerance. He'll make up for it when you're around. Water in a sippy cup will probably be enough. DH could always try offering whatever expressed milk you have in a sippy cup, but there's no need to stress if he doesn't want it. Settling him to sleep is something DH and DS will figure out.