I think the biggest problem is lack of education but really nearly all of the options are linked to breastfeeding problems.

I gave up breastfeeding my first son at 3 months due to personal reasons. I started supplementing with formula from 6 weeks as I thought he was hungry and I went against my child health nurses advice

My second son was born sick. due to being on medication for seizures he was also very drowsy. Therefore making feeding extremly difficult. It never crossed my mind to feed him formula. He did have supplement feeding in the first day or so but my milk came in and I pumped more then enough. . when we finally came home I tried to feed him from the breast again but he was simply to tired. So from here we expressed full time for 10 months..

My 3rd son was born and Breastfeeding was wel established by day 2. He was a champ. I admit I was a little bad and asked they didn't wake me in the night to feed him as I was so very tired but he only had formula 3 times over our 4 day stay. We have just weaned at 21 months.