Thread: What's The Deal With Solids And Iron?

Default What's The Deal With Solids And Iron?

I asked my MCHN this the other day but can't remember her answer! Ironically, my iron levels are low which may be why I have short term memory loss!

Anyhow, DD is six months old and has between 3-4 240ml bottles of formula per day plus two meals of solids.

She has been on solids for 1.5 months but never really took to Farex and I didn't like giving it to her because it seemed to make it hard for her to poo (lots of grunting and came out very chunky - sorry for the TMI).

So I've been mixing her food with an organic babymuesli porridge which is all wholemeal but I've checked the box (somewhat belatedly) and it doesn't appear to have any iron in it which I know is one of the main reasons that Farex is recommended.

So ... should I be making sure she gets more iron or will the iron in her formula be enough? I've just cooked up a batch of lentils (which are high in iron) and veggies. Can I just give her the solids without the Farex/wholemeal equivalent?

Am I just getting paranoid about iron?

BTW - she's on 50th percentile for weight and 75th for height so all good there.

Fiona, dont freak - looks like you are doing everything "A OK".

I'd be more worried about the sodium fluoride in bubs tap water.

Fluoride Linked to Low IQ, Studies Show

Hi Catriona - thanks for reassurance re iron.

I WOULD be worried about that study if they defined what they mean by a "significant inverse correlation" ie. to them it might be statistically significant to find a one point lower IQ level but in the whole scheme of things to me that's not significant. Interesting though.

fiona- thats just one quickly googled example, please explore for yourself.

No worries Catriona. Just throwing the reverse argument into the mix, I know they're saying these days that tooth decay is on the rise because kids are drinking more bottled water. What a complicated world we live in!

totally agree!!!!

but, kids are having more sugar. its so hard isnt it!
    one study i read linked soduim flouride to an increased risk of cancer - who do you believe? the WHO or independant studies?

Back to the topic..... Don't get too hung up on iron. Farex is high is iron but not in a form that the body can readily absorb anyway. Breast milk is lower in iron, but the baby absorbs nearly all of it. Babies iron stores run out some time between 6 and 12 months. It depends on a few factors, including how much cord blood they got (if you did late clamping the iron stores will likely last till around 12 months). Normal foods - fruit, veg, meat when they're ready, grains etc together with bm or formula will meet the nutritional needs of bubs quite easily until 12 months, except in very rare circumstances. You are doing a great job - keep up the good work.