thread: When Can I Introduce Peanut Butter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    BellyBelly Life Member

    Jul 2004
    House of the crazy cat ladies...
    3,793

    I have heard you should wait until at least 2 yrs to give them peanut butter, and 5 years if there is a history of allergy.
    I tried Aidyn just before he was 2, and he was allergic - not anaphylactic, but had he eaten a whole sanwich then he would have been.
    ETA - bear in mind that if they are allergic they wont react on their first exposure (unless they have been exposed to it in the womb or through BM perhaps), it will be subsequent exposure where the allergic reactions will begin)
    Last edited by Ambah; February 5th, 2009 at 10:59 AM.

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Jan 2008
    In a land of bubbles and trouble
    1,479

    I have heard you should wait until at least 2 yrs to give them peanut butter, and 5 years if there is a history of allergy.
    I tried Aidyn just before he was 2, and he was allergic - not anaphylactic, but had he eaten a whole sanwich then he would have been.
    ETA - bear in mind that if they are allergic they wont react on their first exposure (unless they have been exposed to it in the womb or through BM perhaps), it will be subsequent exposure where the allergic reactions will begin)
    Yes I forgot to say my son had eaten peanut butter a few times previously - then hadnt for about a year saying he didnt like the smell and wouldnt touch it - then someone gave him a cadbury fruit and nut biscuit and oh boy, that was super scary ....

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld
    14,682

    I still haven't given DS any peanut butter - and he's 2..

    I was thinking... more like 4... lol

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Jul 2005
    Sydney
    7,896

    I didn't give DD any nuts until after 2, but that was partly because we had a little boy over every week who was anaphylactic and I didn't want to risk it.

    DD still hasn't really had peanut butter at nearly 3, but she has had nuts occasionally (mostly cashews). Seems to be fine. Again, I don't really bother with peanut butter 'cause she can't take it to preschool and I don't like to take the chance out and about with other kids.

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Dec 2007
    Taking a ride on my grdonkey :D
    2,716

    Neither DH nor I have any food allergies, and DD stole some of DH's peanut butter on toast when she was around 8 months... now she practically lives on the stuff. I know it was going against all the advice, but DH is convinced that restricting foods until they're older can lead to allergies (kind of like keeping them cooped up in the house prevents them from developing a good immune system, let them eat dirt from an early age and they'll never get sick) so he was really relaxed about it. I was a bit wary because my mum developed a peanut allergy in adulthood (I was six the first time she had a reaction, we used to eat satays all the time but they were banned in our house after that), but DD has never had any problems.
    That being said, I probably just got really lucky, so I'd be more inclined to follow the advice the other ladies have given... but yeah, DD had peanut butter early on and it hasn't worried her in the least.

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Jul 2006
    1,055

    DS had a taste of it at about 2 I think, but didn't like it. Then just the other day he had a bite of my peanut butter toast and liked it, but he has never asked for it again.