If formula had been prescription only I would have killed myself before I got to the doctor.
Remember, new mothers especially are going through a tough time already, without the added stress of not having a substitute available if there are problems with BF.
I think the mortality rates of babies would go up if that was the case too. I know it sounds horrible, but when I had DD#1, I had a horrible husband who was no support, I had no milk (feeding 12 times a day and starving all the time and losing weight), was in an amazing amount of pain with sore and cracked nipples. If I didn't have a tin of formula handy when I did (late one night), then I don't know what I would have done. There were several times where I had to just close her door and walk away as I didn't trust myself to hold her when she was screaming (most likely with hunger). Some mothers would not be able to exercise self control when they're at the end of the rope.
I had a MUCH happier baby after giving her first bottle and I didn't look back.
I know breast is supposed to be best nutritionally, but sometimes it's not best emotionally (for both mother and baby) and I know my daughter has not suffered at all.
Bookmarks