Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yipppeeee... first step to in-public BFing confidence!

Default Yipppeeee... first step to in-public BFing confidence!

Well, this is my big WOOHOOO!

***Updated on 2nd page 31/03***
    ***Updated on 2nd page 03/04***
    ***Updated on 3rd page 26/05***

Right, so i never wanted to breastfeed, i hate my breasts generally being touched & from the babies (& their parents) i'd known previously, formula feeding was just, the way to go.

Well... first... we got me breastfeeding... now, i hate the feel of it (don't worry our attachment is fine!), & for my own comfort i'd rather he was a formula fed baby... but as he's a good, quick, non troublesome feeder, i'm persevering.

Now, i have huge boobs. Like, i could donate breast implants to a small small-boobed nation - huge. So feeding is one of the most ridiculously awkward encounters of each day for me. Gotta have three and a half of the fluffiest largest pillows to help prop him up, get my boobs in the right place, test to see if he can suck comfortably, move around a bit... yes, yes i know, you're catching my drift. Oh and i should mention that i can't feed him 'Madonna-hold' style, i have to hold him like a football...

So because of this, i was totally put off the thought of BFing in public - i mean seriously, what was i going to do... fit a backseat full of pillows in his pram? And then of course, there's the playful-baby exposing lots of nipple act he likes to do at the start of EVERY feed, & off course mummy's in general shyness about getting her boobs out for the world to see. It's not like i can hide them with his head, they're like three times its' size!!

Well... (yes i'm now coming to the end of my drawn out, lacking in conciseness story) today i breastfed in a feeding room at the shopping centre!

Okay... so it isn't quite 'public' yet... but i'd expressed and packed a bottle of EBM in case he woke knowing there was, like zero chance, of me flopping 'em out ('scuse the crassness).

BUT I DID... behind a drawn curtain & still with the wrap draped over my boobie and his head... but, still, I DID!!!

I guess I'm just proud because i underestimated myself... and i fed him just sitting on a standard food-court kind of chair with no pillows. Managed to hold the little fat porker up like a big football while he guzzled away (my poor arm!) and practice trying to maintain BFing 'dignity' for when i eventually attempt to conquer a cafe or the like.

Thanks for reading my big long ramble... had to share with you all.
    Last edited by The[cookie]Doctor; May 26th, 2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: eta

Well done Ashnut!

I have been contemplating this task myself... i on the otherhand have small boobs (that have become reasonable sized of late ) and have no idea how i am going to do it without exposing myself to the world!

Sounds like you had a few other factors that dont come into my problems so an een bigger achievement

Also well done for continuing to BF when it is not something that you intended to do or particually enjoy doing

WOOOOO!!!!! Well done

Well done babe! I'm the same, not a huge fan of feeding in public for the same reasons, I've got big bazooks too, DD most of the time but bordering on an E in the first months of b'feeding, and it's just not as easy, as comfortable or as discreet as it is for smaller breasted mummies.

I have done it though on occasion and am more relaxed about it this time than I was with DD.

The feeding rooms in most larger shopping centers are excellent and I like feeding in them for the privacy and comfort.

Enchanted Guest

Well done Ash! That is a fantastic

Yay! Good on you.
    I remember feeding in public for the first time, so scary! After awhile I didn't mind flopping them out anywhere and everywhere!

morgan78 Guest

Good on you Ash

LadyLumps Guest

Congratulations

well done

Woohoo thanks everyone for sharing my excitement

I'm excited for you too Ash. Woo hoo!! That is awesome. Well done. Truly you should be so proud. And who knows what will be next!

YAY!!! That's wonderful!!!

Celsie. xoxox

Awesome Ash!!!!!!!!!!

You are braver then me...lol...

Hey Ash!

I completely understand what you are saying about the huge boobs! I went up to a H cup while feeding DD, and it is virtually impossible to keep that much flesh covered while feeding! But with a cloth, it made things a whole lot easier, and it gets better over time.

In regards to your feeding him at home, and your positioning, I found the football hold something that i could do only every so often (couldn't co-ordinate the pillows), and found that it was a lot easier to hold her in the "normal" position, and try to recline a bit myself. So I would have a pillow behind my butt, and then lie back onto the chair (it that makes any sense!). When out in public, i kind of tried to do the same thing, but obviously didn't have any pillows, so it was easier, and more comfortable, once she started feeding faster. I had already kind of been doing this, and then the CHN (another rather large breasted lady) recommended doing it in this position as well, as then bub is not lying on its back so much almost being suffocated by boob, but is in a more comfortable position, and your nipple is a lot higher too.

Also, when you are at home, have you tried lying on your side on the bed and having him lying next to you? Its a bit funny the first couple of times, until you get it right, and you might have to still leand back a bit on to a pillow, to bring your nipple up a bit, but it gives your arms a break!

Anyway, congratulations on your successful feeding of your beautiful boy in a public area! It might have been in a parents room, with a curtain pulled, and with a cloth on, but it is a great first step!

Try not to give up on your breast feeding with your son, it is possible, even with larger breasts, to maintain that great relationship between mummy and baby! But if you do decide to give it up, at least you know that you tried!

Congratulations hun!!! That is fantastic and like MR said - who knows what will be next!!!

That is SOOOO awesome Ash!!! Good on ya!!! I learnt when feeding in public, a cheesecloth was my best friend... I would bunch the end under my bra strap, and drape the rest over bub. It was light and breathable, but offered some pricacy under there!!! So proud of you girl!!!

I am so proud of you Ash!!!!!!!

Awww thanks guys, you always know how to make me smile!

Ali - thanks for sharing all that, im a HH/I at the moment (not fair bras are like eighty five bucks!!!!!!!!!! ) so getting it from your perspective is all the more motivating!

I'll try what you suggested& see how i go, BUT i did feed him in bed this morning and it worked, my gosh comfy as and i could half go back to sleep - one qu though - do i hold him on his side? I assume its not the greatest for hiim to be just on his back?

ETA - Jodie i must have mummy brain, yesterday i had no idea how on earth to keep the cloth on my shoulder.... it all makes sense now... lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast