Thread: Anyone had experience with antibiotics affecting baby?

Question Anyone had experience with antibiotics affecting baby?

I have Mastitis and am therefore taking Keflex antibiotics which is really helping. I didn't want to take antibiotics but felt I had no other option.

DS is very unsettled since I started taking them & wondering if there is any correlation?

He is grizzly when awake but can be convinced to laugh & smile and is only sleeping 45 mins at a time during the day instead of his usual 3hr + 1.5 to 2.5 hr + 45 mins at end of day. He is taking slightly longer to feed but seems to be getting enough milk to regurgitate some after feeding so I don't think hunger is the problem but I guess it could be?

DS is 12 weeks.

I had mastitis for 6 weeks straight with DS#1 - stress / pnd related. I took every darn antibiotic under the sun and from memory....which is severely stretched just now...I took them after a feed so there was a good 4 hours in between.

I know at 3 months olso, both my boys started changing their sleep pattterns, staying awake longer in between the morning naps and I guess dropping a sleep eventually Might be just a coincedence.......

Have you also been expressing, hot showers / hot compresses etc?

Hope it clears up soon. I remember just wanting to be put down like an injured race horse after a while! lol

xxxx

Antibiotics do tend to affect little babies' guts.
    I'm sure there's no problem with his milk intake, but his tummy may be feeling a little unsettled. It'll sort itself out with a little time. The younger they are, the more effect this tends to have, so hopefully it won't be too long before he's back to normal.
    It is certainly possible that there are some other things going on at this age also - they tend to go through a big developmental leap around 3-4 months where their awareness levels increase dramatically and this can have a big effect on their feeding and sleeping patterns. Again, it'll settle down with time.

The ABs might affect him, but then again they might not. Lot's of help, aren't I?!

It could be developmental or he's got a slight cold or similar. I had to take ABs for mastitis on a few occasions and in our case I didn't notice any effect on my baby, but they're all different. Hope he's more settled soon.

Quote Originally Posted by marcellus View Post
    Antibiotics do tend to affect little babies' guts.
    I was going to say this, and it can be a bigger problem than you think. Antibiotics kills good bacteria as well as bad bacteria, and with todays diet bad bacteria grows back quicker, in particular Candida. Candida (yeast) can grow little tentacles that can rip microscopic holes in the gut that causes leaky gut, where peptides seep into the bloodstream that should normally be evacuated - some of these peptides (like the ones made from wheat and milk) are similar in chemical makeup to heroin or morphine. If you are breastfeeding and need to take antibiotics, it's really important to make sure you're taking something like an Inner Health Plus and eating homemade natural yogurt to give your gut and babies by proxy a good layer of protective gut flora.

BTW letting some of that natural homemade yogurt dry on your nipples in between feeds stops bad bacteria from getting into your milk ducts and may help with the mastitis as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeddi View Post
    I was going to say this, and it can be a bigger problem than you think. Antibiotics kills good bacteria as well as bad bacteria, ... If you are breastfeeding and need to take antibiotics, it's really important to make sure you're taking something like an Inner Health Plus and eating homemade natural yogurt to give your gut and babies by proxy a good layer of protective gut flora.

BTW letting some of that natural homemade yogurt dry on your nipples in between feeds stops bad bacteria from getting into your milk ducts and may help with the mastitis as well.
    Yeddi, Thanks. I knew antibiotics would not be any good but not to the 'technical' level you have explained. I was taking a homeopathic remedy and massaging my breasts, expressing after feeds, using heat & cold etc to try and stop the mastitis in the first place but it just didn't work. I was so ill I needed to get the antibiotics. I really don't like taking them & can't even remember the last time I did. I am seeing a Lactation Consultant tomorrow to see if we can identify why it happened & avoid it in the future.

In terms of supplements, I see a Herbalist who has given me vitamins to take and I can't eat the yoghurt as I am allergic to dairy. I bought some soy yoghurt but I doubt it is much good because it is full of sugar; I am also allergic to soy but not to the same degree as dairy :-( .

Thankfully the mastitis has almost cleared & I am now free of pain. Unfortunately the antibiotics carry on until Friday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer13 View Post
    It could be developmental or he's got a slight cold or similar.
    It could be a cold as DH has a very bad chest cold and DS has been coughing just a little bit plus a few more sneezes than usual. He is on a Homeopathic remedy called ABC that was provided by our amazing herbalist. Maybe along with fighting the effects of the AB's he is also fighting a cold.

Poor little man - he is being so strong & amazing!

Just btw, the best source of probiotics for your baby is naturally ocurring in your breast milk, so you have that one covered. It's good to take stuff for yourself as well though.

Quote Originally Posted by marcellus View Post
    Just btw, the best source of probiotics for your baby is naturally ocurring in your breast milk, so you have that one covered. It's good to take stuff for yourself as well though.
    Thank you!

Make sure you take some inner health or something if you're prone to thrush. My use of antiB's while BF didn't affect the baby but me OMG