Thread: Baby's wriggling stopping proper feeding

Default Baby's wriggling stopping proper feeding

Hi all,

I posted the other day about having a very wriggly baby during feeding. I have tried the suggestions (thanks ladies) of lying down to feed and giving him something to hold. They have helped somewhat but I'm finding he is so wriggly that he's not feeding properly - I could feel a lump after this afternoon's feed and had to get him back on again after I did the other side to get it out (with great difficulty and reluctance on his part!).

What can I do? And why is he so wriggly? He has had EBM in bottles for about 4 of his 5 months - could it be that the flow is just not fast enough for his liking? He jerks his head back, kicks his legs and throws his arms around, grabbing me and pinching really hard. He finishes each side in 5 mins. It's quite painful for me, and I'm concerned he isn't getting enough (he's been quite cranky). How do I convince him that if he stays on longer he'll get more milk?

TIA

My 4 month old bub is very wriggly during the day for feeds too! My bub has only had EBM in a bottle twice, so i kinda think it is probably more just the age.

I know what you mean about wondering if they are getting enough. My little one is having good feeds over night and in the morning (which are lying down feeds now i think of it), and it feels like this is the time she is catching up for during the day when she is more distracted. I am also offering more feeds during the day, if the last feed was only a little one.

So, i don't really have any suggestions but wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Don't try to force him to stay at the breast if he wants to get up.
    At around 4 months-ish my DS suddenly changed his feeding habits - he went grom 20-30 minute feeds to 2 minutes max and was very fussy and unsettled. I stressed and thought he couldn't possibly be getting enough and tried to force him to stay longer. This resulted in breast refusal and more problems. And I got some horror lumps at this time too.
    Try to relax. Offer and put them away if he refuses. Don't try to force him back. Don't offer him bottles instead (they seem to be more likely to switch over at these times if you do). Trust that he will be ok. Watch his nappies for any signs that he's not getting enough, don't necessarily go by the length of his feeds or even the state of your breasts (sometimes they will feed more at one time and less at another, and when this changes your breasts can take time to adjust, for eg). Though do watch out for lumps etc obviously.
    The ABA may have some more suggestions for wriggly feeders - it is likely that this is just a phase that will pass with time

Do you have a bath? Sometimes taking a nice bath together can be relaxing way to get them back to the breast.
    Have you tried a darkened, quiet room? That helped us a lot too.

Good luck!

Hi,
    It can be very stressful not to mention uncomfortable when they wriggle around on the breast - but as others have said, it's a stage they all go through. In the long run, babies feed the way babies want to feed. Jut like us. Sometimes you just want a piece of fruit on the run to keep you going - you don't want the full 3 course meal and you would probably fidget and roll your eyes if some-one made you sit there and eat more. It's the same with babies. They don't just sit there like logs and feed - they interact with their world. At this age he can down a breast in 5 mins flat - easily, and then he wants to get on with it. it's common for mothers to worry that their baby is getting enough, but they do! let them take the lead

I'm finding the same with my little one - and we now feed lying down on our bed for 90% of her feeds. It helps somewhat. She is just so distracted with her surroundings at the moment. I look down at her and she is laying there smiling at me, not feeding LOL. Cheeky monkey!

Sue xxx

Thanks so much for your replies everyone. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one, and that he's still getting enough to eat. I think I've got thrush too now (again!) because it's getting painful - but that could be the Reynaud's coming back! Who knows! I think they should have breastfeeding support groups for when you've finished breastfeeding and have PTSD - I think I will certainly be needing one!

Thanks again.

Just think of all the excellent advice and support you'll be able to offer other mums now that you've gone through so much yourself.

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

Glad I found this! I was starting to worry about my supply for the same reason even though DS1 was bf for 12 mnths and there's no reason why it shouldn't happen this time... DS2 has become fidgety at the breast and the last 3 nights has woken more often. Fingers crossed it passes soon and thing become more comfortable again!