Thread: Blood blister on nipple

Default Blood blister on nipple

Like the title says, I appear to have a blood blister on the end of my nipple. For the last 24 hours or so it's really felt like she's pulling hard when DD has been feeding, to the point that I've reattached her a few times. At her last feed it was quite painful, and when I looked at my nipple after there's a black dot in the middle of it and some little bits of blood on the breast pad, so I can only assume it's a blood blister.

How on earth has she done this? I've never heardof it happening before. I'm assuming it's caused by bad attachment. She's just getting over gastro, so has been off her food and just on milk feeds for the last few days, but she's always very keen anyway. A couple of times earlier in the day she was thrashing around and beating me up while feeding to the point that I was about to stop the feed too - I suspected her stach was feeling a bit tender while it 'remembered' food but maybe she injured me then.

I'm assuming I just fed through it and eventually it'll heal. I'll be curling my toes in the meantime!

Oww! No suggestions, but you have my sympathy. Hope it heals soon.

Thanks Kate!

The blood blister is gone now, and in it's place is a white lump, kind of like the head of a nasty spot. It looks like it's filled with thick milk. Is this a blocked duct? Never had one before...

Oh, I got one of those with DS when he was < 3 days old. The white lump was dead skin. It fell off. Gross, eh?

He was sucking the *end* of my nipple instead of getting the entire lot in his mouth. DD#2 did this to me as well on day 1, same result. You can say your baby literally sucked your nipples off ...

My little one has given me hickeys under the nipple when she has sucked the wrong part (usually in the middle of the night).

When i had a blocked milk duct, it was a deeper feeling . it sounds like your issue is more on the surface?

I had a surface sore and figured there must be oil pores and other pores around the nipple (on the auriole sp?) and one of these must have got blocked. still hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Kate07 View Post
    When i had a blocked milk duct, it was a deeper feeling . it sounds like your issue is more on the surface?
    Yep, just on the surface, I can't feel any lumps or pain or anything other than some pain and tugging in the nipple when she's feeding.

Ouch!!

I had one of those too- it would get better but a couple of feeds later it was back again. Bad attatchment was the problem- meanwhile I used nipple cream to soothe the area...once we sorted out the attatchment issue it cleared up quickly..

Oh- and I totally understand the toe curling-It really hurts doesn't it.

hi there

I have had the same problem, although the other way around.
    Started as a white dot, then has turned to a dark red one today. dd has been biting and pulling off recently so ill assume thats whats caused it. She attaches well otherwise.
    i agree on the pain, hope we all recover soon
    xmadamex

Oh no, sorry you're going through it too!

DD doesn't bite anymore, but she has been resting the top teeth on me while she's been feeding recently, so I guess that could be the cause.

Hope you recover soon x