Thread: bra at night?

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

Default bra at night?

DS2 is coming up to 8 weeks and things are going well with BF. I'm just wondering what other people do/did re wearing a bra at night. I have been until this point, but it's so uncomfortable sleeping in one - I just want to feel free for a while iykwim... is there a reason why it's recommended by some community midwives etc?

Oh, I didn't realise it was recommended? I ditched mine overnight at about 3wks I think, I so needed the bra free time and I rarely, if ever, leak overnight and it felt great! Great to hear things are going well

I wore a sleep bra for a few weeks - just to hold the breast pads in place and then got sick of that so didn't bother anymore. I didn't have any issues - but I'm not sure why they recommend to wear one?

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

I used to wear a fitted singlet top, not to tight but if i didnt i leaked SO much! id wake up in a puddle! I couldnt sleep in a bra! to tight and uncomfortable and i always thought it was bad for your boobs to sleep in a bra! or is that an old wives tale?

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

I have not slept in bra at all, as I love the freedom of no bra at night and also easier to feed in bed.
    I have never been a person to leak though, occasionally in nearly 2 years of BF.

I had to wear a bra or maternity top to keep my breast pads in place cause I leaked so much at night, LOL! I'll be buying one of those breast feeding crop tops next time (they have minimal seams and no clips across the back). I don't think there is any reason to wear a bra to bed though, at least I was never told that.
    Last edited by Taurean; July 4th, 2010 at 10:55 PM.

I just slept on a towel, wrapped up in another towel for the leaks.
    If it's uncomfortable then don't wear it!

There are some fabulous maternity camis you can get that help keep breast pads in place if you need them with easy access for feeding...another layer in winter is not a bad thing?

I agree with the others that if it's uncomfortable it is fine not to wear one. I found the same thing and did the towel trick. Wearing a bra at night when your breasts are full, can increase the risk of mastitis also. I think the recommendation to wear a bra at night (and I think they say to do it during pg too), is based on an old belief that your breasts get less saggy if you wear a bra 24/7. I think research has shown this to be false - if you want perky breasts don't get pg and don't get older LOL, there is no other way!!

before i had dd1 i couldn't stand wearing bra's, as soon as i'd get home from work it came off even before my shoes. I absolutely hated wearing one to bed when dd1 was first born but found if i didn't i would leak everywhere so i just started wearing it. As she got older and my milk settled down i would still find that if i didn't wear it to bed or under clothes the stimulation of clothes or bed sheets on my nipples would make me leak. So i just kept wearing one 24/7 which i got used too. Also i found that everytime i tried not going to bed with a bra on i would get a blocked milk duct..grrr. Now i'm not feeding i don't wear one anymore to bed which is alot more comfortable. And lol at manta ray...how true.

I used to wear a loose sleep bra but ditched that pretty quickly as I leaked so much it made no difference if I wore breast pads or not. I just wear a granny nighty open at the top for easy access and deal with leaks in the morning. DS feeds pretty regularly at night so I rarely leak from engorgement but I do leak from the boob not being fed from so I whack a muslin square cloth on that boob (if I remember and am alert enough to!!) Breast pads were useless for me because I flow like the trevi fountain when let down happens and I would soak right through them! I am almost at the point where DS helps himself so I don't even have to wake up, so easy access is important to me.

I only wore a bra to keep the breast pads in place, and I still had to sleep on a towel anyway (which was soaked every morning, lovely). Unfortunately, I did sleep a bit oddly one night and ended up with my first bout of mastitis. Could have been position, but it could have been the bra as well. I certainly didn't wear one overnight after that! I'd say don't bother if you're not comfortable as well.

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

fabulous! It's coming off! lol

I tried to wear a bra at night but found I just leaked right through the breastpads so ditched the bra and slept on a folded up towel with another towel folded infront of me to soak up any leaks!