Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast refusal related to teething?

Default Breast refusal related to teething?

DS is almost 9 months and so far breastfeeding has been a joy.

He has his first two teeth so close to erupting so understandably is miserable. The thing is he is outright refusing to breastfeed. This is worrying me because he still feeds 3-4 hourly. Last night he fed at 9.30pm which I just persisted and persisted with and then not again until about 9am. It's not like he slept, still woke 3-4 hourly but just wouldn't feed. I'm just offering all the time and cutting back his solids to encourage him to feed I'm also offering water when he just refuses. Thankfully I got him to have a half decent feed before bed.

It's almost as if it hurts him to feed I've given him teething gel and panadol and I'm expressing to keep up my supply.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?

TIA
    Spring cx

They can find it painful to feed when teething. Hope he's feeling better soon

Thanks Marcellus.

He just woke and got really upset when I offered a feed would have a sip of water though.

When should I get worried? He is still having wet nappies and did a poo earlier this afternoon.

I'm usually pretty confident with breast feeding but this refusal has rattled me.

Call the ABA

he isnt sick is he? sore throat maybe, or ulsers

Hey Spring

This happened to me a couple of weeks back. DD had one tooth, and another about to erupt. She is usually a clockwork feeder but didnt want anything. She was getting so upset whenever I tried to feed her, that I let her be, and gave her solids instead, which she happily ate. I also offered her water in her sippy cup. Eventually she was hungry enough to take the boob, and like you said, I expressed to keep my supply, and offered that to her as well.

Hopefully your DS will be back to his cheery booby guzzling self soon

Thank you so much for the replies guys. Olive we are all sick except DS and I thought DS had avoided it but he started with a runny nose this arvo and s low grade temp. Stupid me didn't even consider that.

He woke again and is obviously hungry so I tried the football hold which isn't easy with a 10kg boof but he thankfully took one side. He cried when I offered the other side but it's a start.

I see how the next feed goes and perhaps give the ABA a call.

Manhattan how long did you DD refuse to feed for? Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I'm glad to hear she's back to normal.

Just one day thankfully! Hope its not too long for you x

Well I managed to get him to take both sides at 3.30am and there was plenty there he was almost drowning in it. The thing is he is back to being fussy this morning. The good news, one tooth broke through over night so hopefully the second one isn't far off. I've sent DH off to get some more SM33. My poor little tyke, it's horrible seeing him cry when I offer a bf as opposed to his usual delightful giggle when he knows it's time to feed.

Yay for him taking both sides! Poor little guy must have been hungry. Great to hear one tooth has cut, hopefully the next one isnt too far away. I think you are prob best just to keep offering until he takes it, and keep expressing. You're doing a great job, its so hard when they get upset at the boob!

DS does the same thing when a tooth is popping through, i can usually tell and will give him either some hylands teething tablets or a smidge of bonjella to take the edge off enough for him to be able to feed enough.

Poor wee man

Hope he's feeling better and feeding again soon xxx

Not a great day he was unhappy and refused most feeds . I called the ABA and she has somewhat put my mind at ease.

He's only had 2 good feeds today. He has drunk plenty of water though and minimal solids so I hope tomorrow isn't such a battle.

Yay DS just had another good feed from both sides. He was half asleep but that's what the ABA lady said to try.

I feel like I can at least relax a bit until morning now.

Sorry he had another crappy day, but yay for having a good feed just now. Hoping that tooth pops through soon for both your sakes

Oh Spring! You poor love Hope he's on the up now.

ds did the same with his top teeth coming thru... he went from 10am til 4pm or something stupid one day with nothing, and he usually feeds 2-3 hourly... he was about 6 1/2 months and wasn't all that into solids either so he didn't have anything else! it's a wonder he didn't starve!
    they'll probably pop thru soon, and then he'll make up for what he's missed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast