Thread: cluster feeding in a 13.5mth old

Default cluster feeding in a 13.5mth old

as the title says, my DS has started to cluster feed from around 4.30/5am each morning till he's ready to get up around 6/6.30am. this has been going on for a few weeks now.

we co-sleep so that minimises the disruption but i was wondering whether it's likely to be just a phase? with DS still waking every 1-2hours over night, the last thing i'm really up for is a massive feeding session before we get up for the day i still feed overnight & generally feed at each wake up overnight. he also eats pretty well - i think he's fairly normal & will have days where he eats a lot & others where he isn't so interested.

is he likely to be just hungry? is it something to do with sep anxiety? am i missing something?

any support/advice/stories of your LOs would be most appreciated!

anyone?

Sloane, my DS was similar for a little while there I think. I would be up and down with him from about 4am onwards. He's not quite as bad these days, but he does still tend to want a few feeds in the morning when he wakes up (at around 6 - 6.30am). He'll usually have each side, but then ask for it again two or three times through the early morning - so still sort of cluster feeding.

No idea as to why your DS is cluster feeding so much right now - my guess would be that it's developmental, and will (hopefully) pass.

It sounds like he is struggling to get back to sleep.

Does he have one day sleep or two? When I dropped one of the day sleeps, DD started sleeping in till 8am.

She had too much sleep yesterday and did the cluster feed thing this morning because she couldn't get back to sleep.

HTH

thanks guys. i have a feeling it's something i just have to wait out but it's doing some serious damage to the already depleted energy reserves!!

sterla - after thinking about it, i think the cluster feeding may have started around the same time DS started walking. no idea if there's any connection

arcadia - he's still on 2 day sleeps because he really seems to need them. but then i always wonder how much better he'd be if he slept through with only 1 or 2 wake ups instead of 6 or 7. he's normally down for his first nap by 9/930 & i dunno how much longer i could stretch him out?

Yeah, I just started getting up at 5. That doesn't help you does it?

not exactly what i was hoping to hear but yeah, i had a feeling it was just going to be another one of those things that i'd have to wait out. my MIL said the other day that i might as well keep going without interfering with his sleep now seeing i've been doing it for this long. i'm in the mood to agree at the moment. next week i may be back to feeling that i may be losing my mind & desperately need the solution NOW!