Thread: Fussing while feeding

Default Fussing while feeding

DD is 11 days old & my milk came in fine last week. She feeds for 1-1.5 hours at a time anywhere from 1-3 hourly, mainly each feed from one breast with a top up/comfort on the other to help put her down. Today though my breasts seem less hard/full (kind of saggy compared to the engorgement I got when my milk came in) & she has been fussing at each nipple after a bit & spitting it out but then wants to come back for more. This morning We fed from 6.30-7.30 8-9.30(on/off) slept til 10.10 then fed again on/off fussing until we had to go out at 11.30. Finally gone down for a sleep at 12.30.
    She does quite a bit of napping on the boob too but keeps herself attached.
    Any thoughts as to why she is fussing & not settling to sleep? Could it be my supply?
    I'm also recovering from major surgey/blood loss post birth with low iron but am eating very well & drinking heaps. Also started a fennegreek 'flow' tea today.

Hi Dusty

You are doing so well! Sounds like you have plenty of milk and as long as she is getting lots of wet nappies and feeding regularly then there is plenty of milk there. Sounds like bub is just having an unsettled period which is so normal, just keep offering it to her and she'll settle down again. Falling asleep on the boob is so normal too as the oxytocin hormones in your milk make her sleepy.

HTH.

Thanks for your support Shanti. Plenty of wet & poo nappies, I just haven't seen her fuss before now it's been gulp gulp gulp til today

Oooh, look at your gorgeous girl in your ticker!!

Could it be wind that's causing her to fuss? I know DD was really windy and would fuss a lot at the breast in the early days. I found stopping to burp her every 5 minutes during a feed really helped.

It could just be a fussy day for her though . I remember reading that babies tend to have one fussy period per day and one fussy day per week.

Sounds like you are doing a great job

Those fussy times really make you rack your brains hey. Sounds all normal to me, try not to stress about it and just take each feed as it comes. Your supply sounds totally fine. I think babies just go through fussy stages.

Dusty - i wouldn't worry too much. Much of that engorgement feeling is actually swelling. It's not all milk. So as your breasts get used to their new role, the swelling will ease and you won't feel so much like you have two rocks on your chest.
    Don't stress about supply. Little DD will regulate what she needs. So, sometimes she will be a bit more hungry, but you should assume that it's because she is a growing bub - not because your supply is faltering. Have faith in your body. All the while the nappies are wet, then that's good.
    Maybe she has a bit of wind? I don't know - i'm far from an expert on this!
    When both my boys were little they emptied one breast, then burped a bit, then a little bit from the other. As they got older they started to need both sides.

There's often a lull in the first week or two, and you think ah, my baby is so settled and feeds and sleeps so well.... oops. then baby wakes up, and they start to fuss and... eek.
    anyway, it could be all sorts of things. Feeding that often it's unlikely to be supply, and if your initial engorgement is settling down, then great. Always, always watch the output as the best indication of input.
    Is it a particular time of day perhaps?
    Try sitting her upright more, extra burping, etc. It could be tummy discomfort.
    You're doing great - these things naturally improve with time.