thread: Getting rid of thrush for good

Nov 2008
    Melbourne

Getting rid of thrush for good

So, DS2 and I have thrush. Unfortunately it has gotten into my milk ducts so I am starting taking anti-fungal tablets today. I've been treating my nipples and DS2 with Daktarin which seems to be sorting the little one out. I've just washed all of his stuff at 95 degrees to try and kill it off, but need to treat my bra's. I'm reluctant to do them in a hot wash because I don't want to ruin them (I treated myself to some really nice maternity bra's this time around and would be devastated if I destroyed them). I was thinking of soaking them in vinegar, but am worried that my bleach/fade them. What else could I use? I was wondering about Detol, but I'm not sure if that would work... Anyone know, or have any better ideas? TIA

Jan 2008
    Brisbane

What about good load fashion sun light. As in gods doing not the soap

Sun light kills most things!

Add leckert on Facebook Follow leckert On Twitter

Mar 2008
    still on the teaching contract roundabout

Canestan rinse - available in the laundry aisle. I got to the point of putting in the rinse cycle of ds1's clothes & mcns to make sure ds1's eczema which had been playing up wasn't the result of a fungal inflection. The clothes were fine afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so may not make sense

Nov 2008
    Melbourne

Canestan rinse - available in the laundry aisle. I got to the point of putting in the rinse cycle of ds1's clothes & mcns to make sure ds1's eczema which had been playing up wasn't the result of a fungal inflection. The clothes were fine afterwards.

Oooooohhhhh, I never knew there was such a thing... Will have to grab some, that sounds perfect. Thanks Leckert.

Tegam, I was going to try sunlight too, but it is in pretty short supply here in Melb at the moment LOL

May 2007
    Warrnambool Vic

Hi
    Tell me what you have been experiencing? What can you see in the baby's mouth? What do your breasts look/feel like? The current thinking is that thrush in the ducts probably doesn't exist and this sort of pain that doesn't resolve quickly with anti candida medication is probably likely to be a bacterial infection and best treated with antibiotics

Nov 2008
    Melbourne

Really Barb? That is so not what I wanted to hear LOL. Here I was thinking that we might be on top of this... At the moment it has only effected my left breast and it looks and feels normal, as does the nipple. But it has been very tender to the touch for over a week (maybe even a little longer). It progressively gets sorer and sorer as the day goes on, particularly after feeds when I can have stabbing/shooting type pains, but also aches as well. But the pain isn't all that bad, at the moment it feels fine unless I push on it. It generally doesn't hurt when feeding, but every now and then I might get a sharp pain in the nipple (almost like he has bit down hard on it, but he hasn't). There are no lumps and I'm 100% confident that it isn't mastitis. There is no redness, but the whole breast is warmer than the other if that makes sense.

I actually put off going to the GP for a few days because it wasn't that bigger deal and I was confident that I didn't have a blocked duct and it wasn't mastitis. She was actually a bit puzzled by it because the nipple wasn't showing any obvious signs of thrush, but my symptoms were similar. So she suggested using the Daktarin and told me that if DS was showing the signs that I should also treat him (he was asleep at the time so she didn't check him). She also gave me a script for AB's to keep up my sleeve, just in case I did develop mastitis.

After the GP I checked DS's mouth. It's hard to see much other than the tongue, but it had a white coating over it. The coating wasn't patchy, but more smooth if that makes sense. Because it's hard to put my finger in and see what's happening, I tried using a cotton tip to see if I could wipe it away easily, which I couldn't. He also became quite distressed when I tried this, like he was in pain, and was very unsettled for a good couple of hours after. And he has been quite unsettled for the last few days, but seems to be perking up today. I didn't start treating him with the Daktarin until Saturday (I've been using it since Thursday evening), I haven't tried to wipe his tongue again, but now when I look at it the white coating does look different. It's more patchy and looks like milk curd. I had been planning on waiting a couple more days before trying to wipe it again because I didn't want to cause him that discomfort again.

I did quite a bit of reading on thrush over the weekend and yesterday when I wasn't seeing any improvement myself called my GP back to see what she thought. She thought that I should try the anti-fungal tablets so left me a script to pick up. Funnily enough the chemist didn't have them in stock today so I haven't started them again.

So what do you make of it all?

If it is thrush, I am really keen to knock it on its head. Every one keeps telling me how hard it is to get rid of and how it keeps coming back. I must admit that I am a little reluctant to take the AB's because if it is thrush then that could potentially make it worse couldn't it? Would it be silly to take both the AB's and the anti-fungal tabs at the same time?

Any help or advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

May 2007
    Warrnambool Vic

it doesn't sound like either you or your LO has thrush. Go to the dr and get a prescription all purpose nipple creme like kennacomb. Usually you will be told to apply after a feed and wipe off before a feed. the main reason for this is that it tastes bad! Often it IS hard to work out what the problem is from the symptoms and this works on several fronts.

Is your baby attaching well to the breast? Do you think he has a tongue tie? (Has any health professional mentioned this?) Is your LO gaining weight? Does your nipple seem round and normal when it comes out of his mouth? Or distroted?

Warm regards
    Barb

Nov 2008
    Melbourne

I have an appt with the GP tomorrow morning so will ask about the kennacomb. But I do feel as if the problem is within the breast rather than the nipple if that makes sense, so wonder if an external cream will work? I didn't get the anti-fungal tablets, the ones that I was prescribed weren't covered by the PBS and were going to cost $148. No way I was going to pay that for something I'm not even sure will solve the problem.

In terms of attachment etc, I don't believe that there are any problems there. He has attached really well since day dot and has had a great suck since pretty much day one. He is a fast feeder though, but pretty much always has been. We feed somewhere between 8 and 10 times a day, with him only taking the second breast about 50% of the time. The only issue we've had has been reflux which we now have under control with Zantac. His weight gains have always been fantastic, I haven't had him weighed since 8 weeks (he's currently 13), but am very confident that he is continuing to gain well because he is a chubba bubba and he has very good outputs. There haven't been any concerns about a tongue tie, nor has there been cause for concern because his feeding and weight gains have been good and I haven't had any cracks, blocked ducts or signs of an issue (well until now).

With DS1 I had terrible troubles with inverted nipples and used nipple shields for the first 12 or so weeks. But, he seemed to sort them out as DS2 really hasn't had any problems drawing the nipple out. Post feed they look good, nice and round, pretty much as we started, except they may protrude a little bit more.

TBH the pain/discomfort really isn't that bad and is something that I could probably live with. But because of concern that it may be thrush or a bacterial infection as you suggest I am pursuing it, even though it is becoming quite tiresome. If it isn't thrush, is it likely to be something that will clear itself up?

thanks for your help on this one barb.

May 2007
    Warrnambool Vic

Hi,
    Often what women experience is referred pain from the nipple - and sometimes it takes a long time for this to fully resolve. The steroid in kennacomb often calms the situation down.