Thread: Increasing Breast Milk Production

Thumbs up Increasing Breast Milk Production

Here are some ideas that are reccommended to increase breast milk. (The ABA info has kindly been supplied by FionaJill)

CONTACT YOUR CHILD HEALTH NURSE OR GP IF YOU ARE WORRIED THAT YOUR BABY IS NOT GETTING ENOUGH.
    An ABA counsellor or Child health nurse will be able offer further suggestions for increasing your milk supply.

ABA info for
    Increasing your milk supply.
    The amount fo milk a mother produces depands on how much the breast are stimulated by the baby's sucking. your breastmilk will increase to match your baby's increased need if you breastfeed more frequently - 1,2 or 3 hourly or whenever your baby seems unsettled or hungry.
    As your baby grows he may have times when he is unsettled because he is having an appetite incrase and your baby will ask for more feeds. These times ofter occur around the same time for babies, at 2 weeks, 4 - 6 weeks, 3 months & 6 months of age.
    Many breastfeeding mothers find that their breasts return to a smaller size after a few weeks of breastfeeding. This doesn't mean that your milk is disappearing but that your breasts are becoming more efficient at making milk.

How do I know if my baby is getting enough milk?
    * Your baby will have at least 6 -8 pale wet cloth nappies or 3 -5 heavily wet disposable nappies in 24 hours & some soiled nappies. Soiled napies get fewer as baby gets older. Disposable nappies can be harder to tell just how wet they are, but generally "heavily" wet means that you can feel that squishy feeling of the crystals inside the nappy turing to the gel.)
    * Seems reasonable alert, active & happy,
    * Is gaining weight when the weight gain is considered over a 4 week period.
    * Babies need at least 6 feeds in 24 hours & many new babies need 8 -12 or more feeds in 24 hours.

What can I do to build up my milk supply? - ABA reccommendations originally posted by FionaJill
    * Feed more often:
    * Offer the breast as a comforter, instead of using a dummy.
    * Let your baby finish the first breast in his own time before offering the second side.
    * Shorten the length of time between feeds, feed baby even when he is awake & settled.
    * Wake your baby before you go to bed to fit in an extra feed.
    * Check the positioning & attachment of your baby. A aby can milk the breast more efficiently if correctly attached.
    * Top up feeds. A short feed 20 to 30 minutes after a feed is often enough to satisfy your baby & help buil dup your milk supplu. Unlike a bottle your breasts are never empty, as your baby feeds your body starts making more milk.
    * If your baby won't cooperate with extra feeds, express milk between and after feeds.
    * Avoid giving bottle feeds of Infant formula, water or juice (unless advised by your medical practitioner) as these reduce your baby's appetite & his need to suck. this will affect your milk supply.
    * Rest as much as possible -eat well & drink when your are thirsty. Relaxation will help the let-down reflex.
    * Massaging breasts During feeds may also be helpful.

DOMPERIDONE (MOTILIUM)

Domperidone has properties similar to metoclopramide and is used for gastrointestinal conditions such as nausea and vomiting, and gastro-oesophageal reflux. It is also increases prolactin levels. It causes fewer side effects than metoclopramide.

One study found daily milk production increased and at one month all women in the treatment group were breastfeeding adequately, while only two of the placebo group had sufficient milk. There were similar findings in a group of women treated for low milk supply two weeks postpartum.

SUMMARY
    Domperidone given for four to ten days has been shown to increase prolactin levels and milk supply. There appear to be fewer side effects in the mother with this drug compared to metoclopramide. While it appears in breastmilk, there is no indication that it affects the infant in the doses used.

Herbs to try:
    Fenugreek
    Raspberry leaf tea
    Fennel tea
    Blessed thistle

* Please check with a health care professional before taking these, especially if oyu are pregnant. *

Housepoet's Famous Lactation Boosting Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip & Flaxseed cookies
    Serves: 6 dozen cookies
    Preparation time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
    * 1 cup butter or marg
    * 1 cup sugar
    * 1 cup brown sugar
    * 4 tablespoons water
    * 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (can be found at any local health food store)
    * 2 large eggs
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla
    * 2 cups flour
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
    * 1 cup or more chocolate chips
    * 2 tablespoons of brewers yeast* (be generous) (IT MUST BE BREWERS YEAST, NO SUBSTITUTIONS)

Directions:
    * Preheat oven at 375 degrees F.
    * Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes.
    * Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended.
    * Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips.
    * Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.
    * Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

Lactation Milkshake - Originally posted by *Jo*

Ingredients:
    1 cup skim milk powder
    1 cup Activite
    1 litre Milk

Method:
    Mix all ingredients together in a Blender (or with a bar mix) until well combined.

Consumption:
    Drink one large glass in the morning then drink as required throughout the day. Three Days should be enough to have your milk flowing like there is no tomorrow.

Soup
    A pot of soup made from fenugreek, lemongrass & ginger also to expel wind and fish to make the soup wholesome. You can replace the fish with chicken if you like.

Milk Seed Tea
    These are common seeds used for milk production all over the world. They are flavorful, too.

Ingredients:
    * One part Red Raspberry
    * Half part Fennel
    * Half part Anise (increases milk flow)
    * One-quarter part Caraway (increases milk flow)

Directions:
    * Crush seeds and mix with Red Raspberry Leaf.
    * Make as an infusion, because the seeds have a high volatile oil content, and you don't want to be over-powered.

Ramon (Mayan breadnut)
    The fruit can be eaten fresh or made into jams and jellies. The sap can be consumed as a creamer-like beverage. Even the leaves can be eaten raw straight off the tree, fried, steamed, powdered or infused as a nutritious caffeine free tea. The sap and leaves are galactogenic -- they increase breast milk supply. Farmers feeding ramon leaves and branches to their cows and goats note an increase in milk production of 1 to 2 liters per day.

Radical Ramon Milk Recipe
    Serves 2

Ingredients:
    2 Cups Fresh Coconut Water
    2-4 oz of Organic Hemp Seeds or Organic Almonds
    3 Tbls. Roasted Ramon Meal
    2 Tbls. Wildcrafted Mesquite Meal
    1 Tsp. Non-GMO Lethicin
    Tsp. Raw Vanilla Seeds (optional)
    1 Pinch Natural Sea Salt

Directions:
    * If using almonds, soak for 4-8 hours to activate enzymes and hydrate them.
    * Blend the almonds or hemp seeds with the coconut water and the Ramon Meal for 60 seconds on high.
    * Next take a nut milk bag or cheese cloth and strain out the fiber by pouring the milk through it. This will look like a creamy milk latte.
    * Add the milk back into the blender with the mesquite meal, lethicin, vanilla and salt and blend once more.
    * Pour into two glasses and enjoy!

Do you have any reipces or ideas that have helped???

Suggestions from BB Members:

~Kim~
    I accidentally found a milk booster. DD has dreadful CC and I have awful psoriasis, made worse by the fact that some of my nutrients aren't staying with me. Well the chemist suggested a vegetarian omega supplement that has 3,6 and 9 omegas and is vegetarian. He said it might make my milk a bit thicker.... Well my skin's great and my milk supply has not only gotten thicker but has boosted no end! I haven't leaked in months, but now I am!

Rouge
    Bach Flower Rescue Remedy - aids in relaxation & therefore helps to acheive a letdown.

*EfJay*
    Extra feeds/stimulation when ever possible, pump, hand express, DH :wink:
    Anything that is going to remove milk. The more you take the more you will make. Even if its just a 5 min stint on the pump. Trigger a letdown, express some milk & then go back to what you were doing. It doesn't have to be expressing sessions that result in 200mls of milk. Just frequent stimulation will help get that milk a flowin'!

Krysallys
    Just wanted to post something that is helping me let down when I express:
    I use an electric steriliser and I sterilise about 15 mins before I pump. That way when I use the pump it is nice and warm. It is the only thing that will help me let down and I have tried everything including taping my babies hunger cries at a feed and playing that will pumping.

PollyAnna
    A lactation consultant who is also a chinese herbalist once told me that meadowsweet tea is fantastic for increasing supply. I never had a problem, but it was recoomended to a friend of mine.

Barb Glare (IBCLC)
    * Generally, no amount of potions will replace a strong, vigorous baby feeding well. The baby drives the milk supply.
    * Many mothers find that seeing a skilled Lactation Consultant in the early days very helpful.
    * Some mothers find that a feed-play- feed (smaller, top up feed) sleep works well, and gets in those extra feeds a baby needs.
    * It's great to drink plenty of water and to be well-hydrated - all our body functions work better. But the great thing about breastfeeding is that, if you drink to satisfy your thirst then that is usually all you have to do. there is no evidence that forcing yourself to drink more helps make more milk. And running to the toilet all the time is no fun. Most people feel a bit thirstier when they are breastfeeding. Often mums make a mental note to get a glass of water when they sit down, but no need to drink very large quantities

JellyBean
    I worked in an organic pharmacy in London for a while and all the Naturopaths/ Homeopaths prescribed concentrated alfalfa tinctures for lactating women to increase supply. Just eating a serve of alfalfa every day (ie- in salads, in sandwiches etc) was also recommended. I have also found that taking Omega 3, 6 & 9 has enhanced my milk supply. Hemp seed oil contains the most balanced portions of Omega 3,6 & 9. Others (ie- fish oil, are high in Omega 3, but not 6 & 9). Having the correct proportion of Omega 3,6 & 9 in the body is essential for optimum vitality. In fact, the pregancy & breastfeeding supplements in the UK contain a high concentration of Hemp seed oil- also great for skin. You can purchase hemp seed oil from health food stores and just use it in cooking, or as a salad dresssing. Oh- and for those concerned, hemp seed oil does not contain THC-(tetrahydrocannabinol), which is the psychoactive component of the cannabis plant. Oh- and even more important- water water water; 2 litres a day is a minimum requirement for a lactating woman. I'm lucky some days if I remember to drink 1L!
    Last edited by {sarah}; November 25th, 2009 at 01:12 PM.

Does anyone know where I can buy the Activite from for the Milkshake??

THANKS!!!!

Smile Milkshake

Activite can be bought just from the supermarket. In the isle near Milo etc. Orange , brown, white tin from memory.
    Good luck.

Does anyone know the name of that vegetarian 3, 6 & 9 Omega supplement as I can only find fish oil, fish oil, fish oil with only 3 in it?

Flaxseed oil - but the way to increase your supply is to feed your baby more often. Nothing will substitute for frequent feeding

Hi - I just wanted to share my experience.

My milk supply dropped when my bub was 19 weeks, and it coincided with sleep regression and a growth spurt. My contented little boy went from basically sleeping through the night to waking and feeding every two hours day and night. It was like having a newborn again After about 3 weeks of demand feeding to try and meet his demand, I was becoming exhausted, my boy was still unhappy, and I was contemplating a switch to a top up formula feed. However, a child health nurse recommended I visit our local naturopath and get some fenugreek tea. The naturopath listened to my experience and concluded it could be some kind of drop in milk (? by now probably stress related!). After 24 hours on her blend of fenugreek and fennel tea, my milk is back up, and last night my little boy did a 7 hour then 5 hour stretch! He is also sleeping much better during the day. I feel like a new woman and am happy I don't need to top his feeds up as I love breastfeeding and want to continue as long as I can. It might not be for everyone, but the fenugreek/fennel tea worked a treat for me. The only noticeable side effect I have is that I feel very bloated. She warned me I might feel this for a couple of days. The tea tasted awful. I had to soak it and then simmer it and shuck back over a litre. But with a little honey it was bearable. And yes. Now my pee and my skin smell like maple syrup.